Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#365529 - 12/12/2015 15:51 IP-based Home security/monitoring system, NON-CLOUD?
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
So, I have been building small projects here lately using the ESP8266 modules (32-bit SoC with Wifi, USD$2/each). A natural use for something so small and cheap is to use a handful of them to build a home security/monitoring system.

But before I go to that effort..

Is there an existing product for DIY home security/monitoring that is internet based, but does NOT rely on a cloud service (free or paid)?

I basically want this thing to text or email me when an "event" happens. Texts can be sent free via my cell provider's website, and emails are even simpler to originate.

So is there a system out there that does this, without requiring sign-up of any kind to a provider's website?

I mean, if the idea is home security, then why open up the the home/status to third parties?

Thanks!

#365531 - 13/12/2015 04:29 Re: IP-based Home security/monitoring system, NON-CLOUD? [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I can accomplish this with a Synology NAS and select IP cameras. I don't know if it makes the most sense, but I had the NAS already so I thought I'd play with their Surveillance Station package.

The quality is great, it's all stored on my local server, and I don't have to connect it to their cloud services to log in, I just need a dynamic DNS service to help me connect remotely if I want to view live or recorded video.

Altogether, it's a little pricey, but it works well. I currently only have one camera on my system, but I've set up another with four and it handles it fine. It should support a couple dozen on the 415+.

#365533 - 13/12/2015 16:52 Re: IP-based Home security/monitoring system, NON-CLOUD? [Re: mlord]
Folsom

Loc: Atlanta
How about this ?

#365535 - 14/12/2015 03:33 Re: IP-based Home security/monitoring system, NON-CLOUD? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Yeah, IP cameras are a good addition, and I can stream pretty much any of those to my local server (aka "NAS") and/or to my offsite server.

For home monitoring, I'm thinking more "burglar alarm" style (motion sensors, door/window sensors), as well as keeping tabs on the smoke alarms, water, freezer, furnace, and sump pumps.

I can build/assemble sensors for all of those, and have them all report to my central server, and text/email me of important changes in status etc.

But if there were an off the shelf system that did most of that, without using "The Cloud", it might save me some time.

Thanks.