(Def. RTA=Real Time Analysis. For our purposes, it is the process of using a spectrum analyzer and a calibrated microphone to help you equalize your car stereo system)

As discussed in this thread, I'm trying out a downloadable demo copy of the SpectraLAB RTA software, using a Shure SM-58 microphone and their included mic calibration file for the SM-58.

Spent a couple hours with it tonight. Conclusions:

1) I need to get the patched version of the Hijack kernel from Genixia, the one that doesn't put out stuff on the serial port when you mess with the EQ settings. The sluggish response of all the EQ screens due to the serial dumping made the process maddening.

2) I need to turn off that disk indicator icon. It covers up the Q number. Always popping up at the most inopportune moment.

3) Having the remote control and a clearly-readable VFD is a great feature! Could run up the headache-inducing test tones while outside of the car. Just use the remote through the window and look at the display. Very nice!

4) I had no idea how badly the default auto-Q settings will drag neighboring frequencies when you move a frequency band. The only way this is going to work is if I set a fixed Q for every single band. With the RTA software, I could see clearly that whenever I was moving one band, it was also dragging frequencies far into the neighboring bands.

Does anyone remember if beta 11 has the bug fixed where the Q isn't right for locked L/R mode and a non-automatic Q? Or was that a post-beta-11 fix?

Anyway, I'll stab at this one again over the weekend, with the proper stuff done to the player to make it less difficult.