OK, so I've become increasing infuriated with satellite internet. My CO was recently upgraded with a DSLAM, but I have a new dilemma with the wire length test. DSL Reports lists me at about 12,300 feet from the CO. When I drive to it, I get a similar number. When Verizon runs the wire length test, they get 19,200 feet (just past the 18,000 maximum wire length for DSL). I know this test is wire miles, not crow-flies miles, but I'm curious where in the hell the extra mile and a half of wire is running on this line. So I have a couple issues I'd like to resolve, but it's f*cking MADDENING working through the phone company.

1) Is it possible to get a phone company to reveal their wire diagram for the poles?

2) Given that diagram, assuming there is, say, one mile-and-a-half offshoot of the line, is it possible to pay to have that section bridged over to get a more direct line to the CO?

3) If so, is this so expensive as to be a non-option?

4) The max limit of DSL is 18,000 feet. What happens past that? I know signal to noise goes up quickly. Does anyone know how quickly? Will DSL just stop working at 18,000 or is there some distance past where you just lose performance -- or is the assumption that at 18,000 the signal has degraded so much as to be unusable or not beneficial? Assuming you just start to get signal degradation at 18,000, is it possible to sign a waiver and have DSL installed anyway? Honestly anything past 56k with a decent ping time would make me happy -- surely even a noisy DSL line can pull this off at 19,200 right?

Signed.
Desperate in VA