Internet forums, and multiple calls into CarTalk that I've heard, seem to indicate that my particular model and year of Accord (2000 4cyl) is extra-suceptible to this problem. EVERYONE is having this problem with their 2000 Accords.

First thing in the morning, my throttle is sticky, and I have to push harder on the pedal to dislodge it. Making a quick VROOM when it breaks free.

I have repaired this multiple times by disconnecting the rubber shroud that goes from the air cleaner to the throttle, and wiping the black gunk off edges of the throttle plate and the inside of the throttle body with a paper towel. After I do this, it's usually fine for a number of months.

It keeps coming back, though, and I'm wondering if there is an easier way to deal with it. It's very hard to get my fingers in there to wipe it with the paper towel. This morning I tried and couldn't get much of the black stuff out of there, probably because I wasn't reaching deep enough. The throttle was still sticky afterwards.

I have the urge to spray a bunch of solvent into the throttle body. I seem to recall a product called "Gumout" that's made specifically for it. But I'm also afraid to spray chemicals in there because I'm worried that I'll contaminate the valves or dislodge large amounts of that black crud, and make my (up until now trouble-free) engine do something bad because it's now got gritty stuff suddenly going into the valves and cylinders.

Is it safe for me to spray something in there (and if so, what), or should I just keep with the manual wiping of the throttle body thing?