Much as I love my iPhone I have an annoying battery issue that is proving problematic. It has two serious issues with its battery.

The first issue is that it will sometimes forget to update its charge status. So you will charge it, use it for a while and then notice that the charge indicator is still on 100%.

When it gets in this state it will stay at 100% forever, it will quite happily run down and turn itself off without any battery warning and will still show 100% seconds before it dies.

You can reset the charge state by restarting, at which point the charge indicator shows the real battery level.

The second issue is that sometimes it will discharge very quickly. For example today I unplugged it from the charger at 06:00. It was showing 100% charge when I unplugged it. I plugged it into the car charger for the 80 minute drive to the office.

I used it lightly for through the morning and then listened to MP3s with it for at hour. By 13:00 the 20% battery warning was up, a few minutes later it was down to 10%.

The usage stats show usage as 4 hours 40 and standby of 6 hours 30. Which is impossible, as I only unplugged it from the charger 8 hours ago.

This second issue seems to happen fairly regularly. It happened twice last week.

I'm guessing the two issues might be related. The first issue also happened sometimes on my first phone (this one is a refurb after a replacement), but I don't think the second issue ever happened with the first phone.

Googling for this wasn't really very useful. Does anyone else have problem like this ?

It is an iPhone 3G with Wifi on, 3G on and Bluetooth off. It is possible that the second issue has only started happening since I started using Nuevasync.com via ActiveSync.