I'm about to take delivery of a new Apple Time Capsule, essentially a NAT Router and Wireless AP with GigE switching and 802.11 g/n concurrent capability on both 2.5ghz and 5ghz frequencies. What it doesn't have is QoS to prioritize my network traffic.

Here's what I have right now:

Cable Modem
Linksys WRT54GL NAT Router with Tomato firmware
Dell GigE managed switch
MediaTrix 2102 SIP (voip gateway thingy)
Other hard-wired and wireless computers and devices

The MediaTrix device has a lot of networking features built in, including the ability to connect directly to a modem and act as a router. Here's a link to its manual.

I want to start using the Time Capsule in place of my WRT54GL to support my wired and wireless LAN. I'd like to maintain priority on VOIP traffic so that other WAN usage doesn't degrade call quality or prevent incoming/outgoing calls. I'd like to also prevent high-bandwidth protocols/traffic such as bittorrent from degrading other network traffic such as mail SMTP, POP, HTTP, FTP, etc... Basically anything I might consider real-time as opposed to "background" as I consider bittorrent.

I don't mind picking up another another device such as the Hawker HBB1 "Internet Booster" which is an external QoS devices that connects between your modem and router.

I'm wondering if I can use either the Mediatrix or WRT54GL effectively between the Time Capsule and modem to traffic manage, leaving everything else up to the Time Capsule. And if so, how they should be configured. I'd like to maximize my network speed both on the WAN as well as on the LAN.

I took a brief look at the manual for the Mediatrix, and see it has some QoS signaling features, but I'm not sure if it handles the traffic shaping itself or if it only does priority labeling of the packets so they can be managed downstream (on the various routers, etc. on the internet pipes).

The Hawker device takes less power than the WRT54GL and should "just work" without configuration as far as I know.

Edited by hybrid8 (18/03/2009 17:31)