I've moved into a newly-built house with brand new appliances. Our washing machine is Whirlpool brand.

On Saturday we threw a party, and a couple hours before the party, someone in our household started a wash load.

After the party, he went into the laundry room. The washing machine was still making a humming noise, as if it was doing something. However it had been several hours.

He opened the lid and the clothes were damp but there was no water. It was supposed to have reached a spin cycle but it wasn't yet spinning.

After he closed the lid again, it began spinning and completed the wash cycle normally, as if nothing had gone wrong.

Here's my hunch: The humming noise might have been the drainage pump. It was supposed to shut off when the machine emptied of water and move on to the spin cycle, but something prevented it from detecting that it had completed its drainage job. Perhaps a sensor malfunction.

So. If that's true, is our pump fubared because it tried to pump water for several hours, but only had air to pump? It seemed to complete its cycle, which included another rinse and spin, and that drained normally. Should I call out warranty service, or is everything OK provided the problem doesn't recur?