Recently, I've been considering career changes. It's hard to dismiss the past 17 years that I've longed to be a 3D animator.

To all the 3D animators among us (loren, et al), I ask: How does a newcomer to animation find gainful, fulfilling employment in the field.... starting from scratch.

I think I've got what it takes - innate spatial ability, attention to detail, computer tech in my bloodstream, added value like programming experience and reasoning aptitudes, and a hunger for creativity. But I also DON'T got what it takes - no portfolio (save some self-taught renders from my free time in college), no formal training and no experience.

Seeing my information technology field littered with "no experience necessary" scam education and certifications, there must be something similar (and hopefully actually valuable) in the animation field. Kind of like corporate managerial training - take someone promising and groom them to do the job just how you want it.

Any ideas? Or does 3D animation have the same unreasonable labor demands that I hear from the computer game programming industry, which I'd do well to avoid?

Thanks for any input.

<edit>
I raise this topic after having seen the Tim Burton exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Burton had the gift, but did time drawing cells for Disney until he harnessed and brought his potential to fruition. Makes me thing, if only I could do time "drawing cells" for Pixar...

Edited by FireFox31 (10/01/2010 03:48)