So, I think I had a client that was hit with the McAfee screwup. Her PC was really messed up, they called me the day after the McAfee news hit, and it took finding a restore disc and replacing the svchost.exe file to get her back in business. I was able to get her to a state where she could use the computer again, but she's getting annoying error messages and I want to try to fix the machine instead of nuking it. I'd really appreciate any ideas you guys have as to how to fix this. Here is the email she sent me detailing the error messages and weird behavior of her computer:

Quote:
1. Svchost.exe – Application Error
The instruction at “0x000d000b” referenced memory at “0x00d00b” The memory could not be “read”
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

When I click on OK like you told me, the following message appeared:

The instruction at “0x000d000f” referenced memory at “0xb7aa87cb” The memory could not be “written”

When Outlook would not start, I shut down and then these messages came up:

2. The instruction at “0x000d0013” referenced memory at “0x000d0013” The memory could not be “read”
When I clicked OK the following appeared:
The numbers changed to “0x000d003f”

Upon my third start up, I received different messages:

3.The instruction at “0x000d0007” referenced memory at “0x000d0007” The memory could not be “read”
When I clicked on OK a completely different message appeared:

The exception illegal instruction An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction (0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x000d0007.

Outlook continues to run with a different color in the background. Instead of normal colors, it is now running with a tan background. At some point during the day, it may or may not change back to normal colors and fonts.