I am not now and unlikely ever to be an iPhone user, but for some reason unfathomable to me my wife likes them. To the best of my knowledge, she has never used any of her iPhones for any purpose other than to make telephone calls.

Her friend in California is an iPhone fanatic. Let's coin a new word and call him an iPhreak. As I type this, he is currently standing in line at the Apple store to buy an iPhone6. He has been there since 5:30 this morning, a period of about six hours, and reporting from his iPhone5, there are still a lot of people in line ahead of him.

Jean [my wife] bought the iPhreak's iPhone2 when he upgraded to the '3. Then she bought is iPhone3 when he upgraded to the '4. Then she bought his iPhone '4 when he upgraded to the iPhone5. I am now trying to talk her out of buying his '5 when in a few hours he finishes his iPhone6 purchase.

She says she wants to learn to take advantage of the many iPhone features. [This is unlikely to actually happen.] K447 changed my outlook on smart phones when he pointed out:
Originally Posted By: K447
When the iPhone was first announced and then released, many misunderstood what it really was in part because it was called a 'phone'. It was in fact primarily a mobile Internet connected computer. The phone aspect was merely a familiar function. Almost all the interesting stuff had little to do with making phone calls.
so I can understand what my wife is thinking.

What would an iPhone5 do for her that her present '4 will not? She says she is mostly interested in learning to use Siri. Are there different versions of Siri in the different generations of phones? Does Siri become more powerful/useful as the iPhone hardware becomes more capable? For that matter, does the iPhone4 even support Siri?

What do you think she should do?

tanstaafl.