I've been using Mullvad as a VPN provider for a while now. They not only offer the usual OpenVPN protocol, but also the cutting edge WireGuard protocol. I've been using it for a while now on both my desktop and mobile phone and it works great. Fast, secure, stable. As a bonus it's also very energy efficient and doesn't consume my phone's battery in no time like OpenVPN tends to do. In fact, I notice almost no difference in battery life with the VPN tunnel enabled or disabled, so I tend to keep it enabled all the time.

There's just one snag : the WireGuard client's standard setup is that it will forward ALL network traffic through the VPN tunnel, so also my local LAN traffic. This means that eg. I cannot print a document on my network printer or access my router's setup without disabling the VPN tunnel first. Annoying.

I know there must be a way to have WireGuard send all the network traffic through the VPN tunnel, with the exception of everything in my local LAN range (which is 192.168.1.x/24). I know it can be done by using IPtables, but I simply know nothing about this and it also seems too big a thing to master just to be able to fix this one issue. I can follow a how-to like the best of them, but I cannot do this myself. I've tried by using this how-to, but it's too extended for what I want to do.

Could somebody help me with this please?