Ok, I'm in a job right now that likes certified people, and will pay for the tests, plus give some nice bonuses for passing them. I am trying to plan out what I should take, and I feel some background is probably needed.

I work with intel based servers, from the cheep one processor ones all the way into the eight processor beasts, and the blade servers. Currently I support Unix (Solaris 8, SCO Unixware and Openserver, and Linux on an official stance, and the occasional hint for the BSD users). I also support Netware. Keep in mind this support is just the info needed to install and run the OS, not to administer it. I do however administer my own home Linux machine with DHCP, DNS, AppleTalk, Samba, NFS, PostFix, and other servers. Plus I also assist with the one RioCar.org is on. So I do have the Linux background to admin servers.

I currently only have an A+ certification, something I picked up while I did desktop support for Gateway. I am now being pushed at the chump Server + test (Will probably go take that soon), and then beyond that is open. I am specificially looking at something similar to the MCSE, but not a Windows based one. I know how to admin an NT box, but prefer not to. So, I am looking at Lunix/Unix certifications. The one from Sair has my attention the most, as they have three different levels, similar to the MCP, MCSA and MSCE. Each level is a few tests, with every test being proceeded by a 32 hour class if attending their training. So if I do this, I am looking at a huge commitment to a single certification. Does anyone out there have a Sair certification, and if so, how hard was it? Also, how do companies precieve it? Personally I think it's great, but if it dosen't help me to get a better paying job, I don't really want to waste the huge amounts of time needed on it.

I really wanted to program instead of being a sys admin. But it seems my path without a major school commitment is going to lead me down the admin path. It's not bad, but not specificially what I wanted. So I might as well go down the admin path the best I can.