So, I'm fitting Jen's new kitchen, which is something I've never done before, and I've got a question.

I've got to fit the sink. Now, I'm happy with cutting the hole in the worktop, and the plumber was kind enough to leave me with enough hot and cold copper pipe sticking up that I can just attach the taps with some bendy connectors (the ones with the steel braid over them that screw into the bottom of the tap fitting).

I've got a question about the waste pipe. Again, the plumber left me a suitable place to connect to the waste pipe in the building trunk, but I've got to get there from the sink.

When I attach the waste trap (it's a bottle-shaped one) to the bottom of the sink, the waste port is going to be about 6 to 9 inches above the pipe that I've got to connect to, so I can't just run a piece of horizontal pipe. I need to cover about 30 inches horizontally, as well.

So, can I simply add a section of pipe between the sink and the waste trap, to lower the trap to the right level, and then run straight across (forming a right-angle)?

Or should I fit the trap directly to the sink and then use a pair of 45-degree joins so as to run the waste pipe down at a more leisurely angle?

Or something else?

This is all working in 40mm plastic pipe, BTW.