Windows XP Pro: Ok, I was playing arond with my girlfriend's new work laptop. It's got wireless built in and for the life of me, no matter what I tried, I could not get it to connect to my wireless network. Connecting any Apple portable is a piece of cake.

Anyway, the specific problem is this: while lpaying around I changed computer ID settings to tell it to join my workgroup, INSTEAD of the DOMAIN it belonged to before.

At work we use a domain, no surprise. But now it won't let me log in to the machine! At the login prompt there's only a spot for userID and password. Correct password gives back an error saying "to make sure your user name and domain are correct" - WTF?

I didn't set this machine up, so I don't know the password for the "Administrator" login - figures IT wouldn't have told her.

I also don't know if there are any other users (besides hers which I was using to log in before) with admin privs.

My assumption here is that her userID was tied to the domain and isn't the same as whatever local ID should (is?) on the machine...

It's late and I'm stumped. And I've left her machine in a state where it can't be used. She's going to kill me when she can't use it at work tomorrow. Hopefully someone in IT can fix it quickly. I did tell her tonight, but I'm pretty sure she had already been sleeping just long enough for it not to fully register.

Any suggestions? Even any tips I may ps on to her to tell the IT people?

Bruno