Last week, I upgraded my phone to a Nokia 6230. It's a nice phone -- although I do find a few things with it slightly annoying.

My old phone is a Nokia 6100, and I want to get some content off of it. I'm not worried about Contacts/Calendar -- I used PC Sync to push everything from Outlook to it. Getting Bluetooth working was harder than it should have been -- the Nokia software has some singularly useless error messages.

My problem is this: I want to get my custom ringtone from the old phone to the new phone. John Ripley and I spent most of one afternoon with an iMac, a whiteboard and his phone composing a "Willow the Wisp" ringtone, and I want it back.

I'd also like my custom wallpaper, but this isn't so important -- I have the original photo somewhere.

I've tried Nokia Content Copier, but it won't allow me to copy the data from one phone to the other. If I back up the 6100 (or use the Transfer Data From mode), I get a file on my PC containing the two items I'm bothered about but since it's a monolithic file, there's no way to extract the two files (or is there?).

Trying to copy that content to the other phone has been fraught with difficulty. I'm getting "Backup definition could not be read from the phone. The current task cannot be completed."

Sometimes I'll get further: "These contents have been exported from a different phone model than the currently connected phone. Some of the contents may not be fully imported to the phone."

Then the list of items to copy is blank.

I've tried using the "Nokia Phone Browser", which integrates into the Windows Explorer Shell Namespace, but -- while that displays the files in question -- I'm unable to copy them to the PC. I get a not-particularly-helpful "The operation could not be completed." message.

Help!