Ok, I didn't see this coming. I guess I should have, but you never think it's going to happen to you . . .

See, I got my wife into Diablo a couple of years after it first came out. Unfortunatly we only had one computer so we couldn't play together. As you might well know, Diablo is best played together and so she didn't last long with it.

Then came Diablo 2. By this time we had DSL and two computers. She waded in caustiously and then was instantly hooked. I thought, "Hey this is cool- my wife is playing computer games". I thought my wife was the coolest and even remember one of the teenagers at church telling me, "man, when I get married I hope she's just like your wife".

We had a blast with Diablo 2 and she even started playing it without me. I thought nothing of it- nor did it really concern me that she wouldn't get into any other games. Oh I tried all right. Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six- but none of them took. At some point we got busy with the band, my computer died and I didn't bother to ressurect it- who had time for games? I didn't stop to think that she'd just scratched the surface of her obsession. After all, Diablo 2 is one of those games that is idle fun, especially when considered an RPG. Diablo 2 is what would happen if Michael Bay decided to make an RPG. Ripping fun but without a soul.

Then we moved to Atlanta- Having only family here and no friends, I fixed my computer thinking we could ressurect Diablo 2 again. Also, since it's cheaper these days I might be able to play with some old friends back home. Since it's the one PC game my wife will play, it's a perfect solution. And my how we've played. It's a fun game and we've stayed up many late nights leveling up and fighting evil baddies. Getting new weapons, all that cool stuff.

And then it happened. My sister (who now lives 2 hours away from us) invited us over to play D&D with her friends. I didn't know "grown ups" played D&D, but I remember it from my youth. Not that I ever got to play much. I was just too invovled in other things and never got a chance. Baldur's Gate was as close as I ever got.

So we went and created a couple of characters and played with my sister and her friends. It was a very low key game, actually, nothing like what I remember my friends doing from high school, but it was definitely D&D- hardcore rules, maps in books, backstories and all. No one dressed up or anything, but one guy did a freakishly good dwarf imitation.

And my wife is hooked. Hardcore. I think she's going to dress up for the next one. It's all she's been talking about all week. I'm wondering, is this healthy? I mean, Diablo 2 is one thing. It's kind of the meaningless pop version of D&D, but now I'm seeing her descend into waters I'm not sure she can handle. Soon she'll be buying books, constructing constumes, learning accents. What'll I do?

I guess if you can't beat 'em . . .