I use the latest BitTorrent client software to grab the current Doctor Who episodes. Depending on where I happen to be that Saturday, I do it either on a PC or on a Mac.

I noticed on the PC that it installed a secondary product called "DNA" which is a new feature, a background streaming server based on BitTorrent technology. This is a separate feature from BitTorrent, and is unrelated to the file sharing aspects of BitTorrent. Unlike BitTorrent itself, DNA runs without my knowledge and without an icon to indicate its presence. This made me angry, so I googled around and found out how to remove it. (btdna.exe /uninstall)

Even if it hadn't had the convenient uninstall command line built in, there are a few different ways on the PC that I can detect the presence of such a thing and prevent it from running. Being a long-time PC user, I know most of these methods.

But when it comes to similar sleuthing on the Mac, I've got no idea where to start. I'm assuming, since I installed the same BitTorrent version on the Mac as I did on the PC, the Mac version must also include this background streaming service. How do I find it and exterminate it?

I asked this question a few days ago on the BitTorrent forums, hoping to get an answer that was specific to BitTorrent. But I've had no responses, and now I'm curious about the generic case. In the generic sense (i.e., for any process, not just DNA), what are the steps to determine what's running in the background, and how would you remove such a background service, on the Mac?

PS: Please, no discussions about which BitTorrent client I *should* be using instead of the one I am using. We can do that in another thread if you want.