I'm running the current Mac OS 10.8.2 on a 17" 2009 MacBook Pro (2.9 GHz). I have a 240GB Intel SSD 520 (SSDSC2CW240A3) for my boot/app drive and an additional HDD for data only.

For months now I've noticed the computer freezing up, but it's not instant. Usually I'll be in the Browser (Safari) and it will stop loading or a page will stop. The pointer will generally go to a beach ball. I'll got over to another app and it will seem to be working (Mail) but when I click through onto other messages that are obviously not in memory, they will appear blank, then the beach ball comes up there too. The dock may or may not work during this time and then the beach ball seems to be spinning for every app. I can usually still switch between apps however.

I've been thinking for some time that it's the Intel SSD 520 I've got installed as my boot disk - it's also where all the apps live. But I don't know how I can definitively prove this. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can track this down, perhaps being able to log any such freeze ups?

I *JUST* now noticed that the OS reports NO TRIM support for this SSD. Which I'm pretty sure I had in 10.7, probably due to a patch. Which I probably didn't install in 10.8. Did I just answer my own question here? Would this be a likely culprit for the symptoms I'm noticing above?

Edited by hybrid8 (08/11/2012 13:21)