At my new job, they are very particular about coding standards, and in code reviews I'll be given a comment if my code doesn't follow their standards.

I think think this great actually, because their standards are clear, and all of the standards make for better code and more readable/maintainable code.

But there's one standard which confuses me, and it seems counter intuitive, so I keep messing it up. Can someone explain to me the reason that someone might adopt such a coding standard, what the psychological reason might be for it?

Code:
/// <summary>
/// Removes the file.
/// </summary>
public static void RemoveFile()
    {
        try
        {
            // Check if the old file exists
            if (File.Exists("file.txt"))
            {
                // Delete old file from disc
                File.Delete("file.txt")

The standard is:

- If you have an HTML comment for a class/method/property using the triple slash, your sentence MUST end with a period.

- If you have an inline comment for miscellaneous body code, using the double slash, then your sentence MUST NOT end with a period.

I keep messing this up because I like to type proper English sentences (well, as proper as we can get in America anyway). If there is a way I could wrap my brain around WHY, then maybe I'd mess it up less often. Any ideas?