Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221132 - 01/03/2002 21:01 JRec 0.1.9 is available
reedesau

From the changelog:

01-Mar-02 - 0.1.9
Feature: external stream capture / 'Station' playlists courtesy Philip Gladstone
Feature: external transcoding support also a Gladstone production
Feature: mime-type support for queries and scanner
SDK: Drivers.store() replaced by Drivers.register(), where driver reports natively-supported mime-types
Enhancement: File playlists now retain their original sequence; can override
Feature: single tune requests via browser now stream via m3u -- no more downloads
Bugfix: many of them

http://jreceiver.sourceforge.net

#221133 - 01/03/2002 22:56 Re: JRec 0.1.9 is available [Re: reedesau]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

Now, if only I could get jetty installed I could try to install your software...

-Biscuits

#221134 - 03/03/2002 14:45 Re: JRec 0.1.9 is available [Re: Biscuitsjam]
reedesau

If you're having problems that are Jetty-specific, check out

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jetty-support/

If it's JRec-related,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jreceiver_user/

--Reed

ps, anyone out there in Rio-land streaming shoutcast to their Receiver yet using the new jrec?

#221135 - 03/03/2002 22:41 Re: JRec 0.1.9 is available [Re: reedesau]
shawn
stranger

Loc: Silicon Valley
Well, I set up 0.1.9 this weekend (I've been through the pain of jetty already from an earlier rev, so it was easier). I've got Music for Hackers on right now just to test. Skips a bit here and there, probably my connection rate. Otherwise, cool! Useful feature request: does shoutcast allow song titles to be streamed as well? could those be displayed? I guess you'd have to know when the track stopped and next one started and pass it onto the receiver as the next song in the playlist. I'd guess its possible if a shoutcast playlist was made to look like a really long playlist (>100 songs?) and moved to the next song each time it got an update from the shoutcast stream.

Thanks much for the software. I've got >10k mp3s (all self-ripped!, only about 1/4 way through it all), so I couldn't even begin to use the s/w that came with it. Plus I'm on linux. Ran Jeff Mocks' software with my own hacked up DBM initially, then realized I'd be much better off with a SQL backend.

Quick question -- anyway to setup album/artists playlists without actually making .m3u/.pls files. I went through the yahoo group and didn't find much. I can setup .m3u files, but is there something else I'm missing? I can use the recievers UI to select artists, but once I look for albums I don't have the artists names available anymore. I'd like to use it like playlists on the empeg, with a simple hierarchy and such before I get into any SQL business.

I should probably move this to the yahoo list I realize now. Oh well...

-sml

#221136 - 04/03/2002 12:41 Re: JRec 0.1.9 is available [Re: shawn]
reedesau

> Skips a bit here and there, probably my connection rate.

Try a lower bitrate stream and work up from there. Adjusting the priority of the Jetty process might help, but I haven't tried that myself. Search the Yahoo group archives for more details.

> does shoutcast allow song titles to be streamed as well?

The metadata is inline, about 8K into the song I think. Philip is collecting this info which will be available to drivers via callback in the coming version of the software.

> could those be displayed?

Not for the Rio, at least with the known capabilities of the Rio display app.

> I guess you'd have to know
> when the track stopped and next one started and pass
> it onto the receiver as the next song in the playlist.

Philip and I discussed forcing a new track on the Rio between Shoutcast tracks, but it would have been a nasty kludge.

> anyway to setup album/artists playlists without actually
> making .m3u/.pls files.

Dynamic playlists can do that.

> I can use the recievers UI to select artists, but once
> I look for albums I don't have the artists names
> available anymore.

That's a limitation of the Rio's menuing system.

--Reed

#221137 - 04/03/2002 18:06 Re: JRec 0.1.9 is available [Re: reedesau]
shawn
stranger

Loc: Silicon Valley
>> I guess you'd have to know
>> when the track stopped and next one started and pass
>> it onto the receiver as the next song in the playlist.
>Philip and I discussed forcing a new track on the Rio between Shoutcast >tracks, but it would have been a nasty kludge.

Yeah, I figured as such. It'd still be quite useful IMHO.

>> anyway to setup album/artists playlists without actually
>> making .m3u/.pls files.
>Dynamic playlists can do that.

Unfortunately, that still involves setting up a playlist myself for each artist/album. I don't want to do that my hand if possible. If the scanning could do that itself, basically bypassing the Receiver's Artist or Album selection. For me to get to an album I'd do Playlist->Pink Floyd->Animals->Play All, instead of Albums->Animals->Play All or Artist->Pink Floyd->???.

>> I can use the recievers UI to select artists, but once
>> I look for albums I don't have the artists names
>> available anymore.
>That's a limitation of the Rio's menuing system.

But I'd know which artist I've selected from previoiusly if it was in hierarchical playlists, so it wouldn't have to display it. I'll look at some of the Java code later to see if I can do what I mean there or through more (scripted) SQL. I'd only want the artists listed that I have whole albums for, not artists from compilations (like it shows up now in the Artists menu). Compilations would showup as artist='Compilations' or something similar.

-sml

#221138 - 05/03/2002 20:45 Re: JRec 0.1.9 is available [Re: shawn]
reedesau

I'd like to avoid overloading the playlist menu more than it already is.

However, it might be possible to have additional options for the Artists menu for instance. Hack RioHostQuery/MenuEncoder to return not simply a list of unique artists, but rather a list of "Artist, Album" results.

I'm open to patches to do stuff like this, but it has to be configurable, via a checkbox in the Rio driver settings.

I have plans for a more advanced menuing interface, but short of an open-source firmware project, like http://sourceforge.net/projects/mstreamee, it won't be usable on the Rio.

--Reed