Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224394 - 07/01/2004 08:13 New Netgear Digital Audio Receiver
Saki
stranger

Loc: London
Netgear have got a nice new receiver. It's got integrated 802.11g and shoutcast support, but no integrated amplifier, which is a pity.

According to the "prices & availability" link, no-one's got it in stock, but when they do, it will be as low as $140. Which strikes me as *very* low.

Wonder what it sounds like....

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MP101.asp

#224395 - 08/01/2004 01:40 Re: New Netgear Digital Audio Receiver [Re: Saki]
markb
new poster

It looks pretty nice. Integrating the wireless card makes it a cheaper option than a Rio! I have put 10 Rios in friends' houses and half of them wanted wireless which boosted the cost considerably.
However, I don't like the lack of fascia controls on the unit. Personally I use those controls at least as much as the remote.
Anybody know anything about the server software?

Paul, any idea of whether they would work with tRio?

M

#224396 - 28/01/2004 04:46 Re: New Netgear Digital Audio Receiver [Re: Saki]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
ISTR this unit is based on an ARM running uClinux (no MMU) on an ARM9 chip... hence, you should be able to get kernel source from Netgear.

I had a play with one at CES and the software sucked much harder than the original receiver stuff IMO - 5 seconds to skip to the next track, for example. Might have been pre-production though, so don't take my word for it!

Hugo