Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224228 - 03/12/2003 15:03 HPNA and Wake-on-Lan
markb
new poster

Although not really a Rio question, has anybody got WOL working with a HPNA set-up?

#224229 - 31/12/2003 05:31 Re: HPNA and Wake-on-Lan [Re: markb]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It *should* work, it was tested at the time. HPNA has a different WOL scheme to ethernet though: unlike standard WOL which is 6xFF followed by 16 repeats of the MAC address which should be broadcast on the local net, HPNA just requires a targetted packet (ie, addressed to the HPNA mac address) to make it wake up.

I don't think this packet gets through to a sleeping PC, but gets eaten.

Hugo

#224230 - 31/12/2003 07:46 Re: HPNA and Wake-on-Lan [Re: altman]
markb
new poster

Hugo,

Many thanks for your reply.

I rather lik the use of the conditional tense. Do I interpret this as "we would have liked Rio to be able to wake up a sleeping PC via the HPNA card, but is doesn't"?

I installed a Rio for a friend using HPNA. Their PC is WOL enabled (ie it has a WOL plug on the motherboard, and the BIOS has a configuration option for WOL).
However, the HPNA card does not have a plug for the WOL cable that one would normally use on an WOL ethernet card.
Anyway, the PC did not want to go to sleep with the RIo connected, and when forced asleep didn't want to wake up.
Am I using the "wrong" sort of HPNA card, or in your view will it not work whatever I do?

Many thanks

#224231 - 31/12/2003 08:00 Re: HPNA and Wake-on-Lan [Re: markb]
altman
carpal tunnel

armgr.exe stops the PC from sleeping if *any* receivers are powered up. If all receivers are powered down (power off or the usual soft-off state), it should allow the PC to sleep.

If the HPNA card does WOL (or the ethernet card that is serving the receivers, for that matter), turning a receiver on will force the PC to wake up - this was tested back in 2000. One thing though: a hard-off receiver will not wake the PC when you turn it on, only a soft-off one (ie, powered off with the power button, then powered on with the power button) otherwise it doesn't know the MAC address of the PC to wake it up.

I can believe that not all HPNA cards have WOL wired to anything useful, though

Hugo

#224232 - 31/12/2003 16:21 Re: HPNA and Wake-on-Lan [Re: altman]
markb
new poster

Most of that does indeed make sense. When you did your testing, did you use a HPNA card that had a lead connecting it to the motherboard? I am in no way a PC expert, but struggle to see how a HPNA card can receive power through the PCI bus, but an ethernet card requires a lead to plug into the motherboard to receive power. As mentioned, the HPNA cards I hav come accross do not have any such connections on them.

I appreciate the help.

HNY

Mark

#224233 - 28/01/2004 04:49 Re: HPNA and Wake-on-Lan [Re: markb]
altman
carpal tunnel

The lead from the card to the MB is not power I believe, but a wakeup signal. The PCI bus does have power on it in some standby states. I suspect the PNA card we were using at the time (Linksys, I think) had a wakeup lead.

Hugo

#224234 - 28/01/2004 07:32 Re: HPNA and Wake-on-Lan [Re: altman]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Hugo,

Is it possible to wake the receivers up via WOL packets? I tried over the ethernet connection a while back, but it didn't seem to be listening.

Cheers
Paul

#224235 - 03/02/2004 04:45 Re: HPNA and Wake-on-Lan [Re: pauln]
altman
carpal tunnel

If the receiver is on at all (ie, has pad the power button pressed since applying mains power) then "off" is just "display off" - everything else is running and Trio, etc could wake up in response to anything you wanted to send them, if they had the programming.

If the player has just had power physically applied, then I'm afraid the CPU is not running and cannot be woken by the network. A hardware mod could probably fix this, but it may not be worth it.

Hugo