Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#38143 - 06/09/2001 02:43 Problem loading custom logo
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
I uploaded a custom logo (tried two different ones from that web site that has a bunch of them).

The upload appeared to go OK, but the empeg remains unchanged.

Serial worked fine for upgrading to 1.03, and download.c appeared to function without error.

Any ideas?

#38144 - 06/09/2001 09:25 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: danthep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did you use a personally-compiled version of Download.c, or did you use my Empeg Logo Editor?

If you didn't use my logo editor, try that first and see if it solves your problem.

#38145 - 06/09/2001 14:20 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: tfabris]
danthep
enthusiast

I compiled my own copy.

OK, i'll try your logo editor, where is the link for the linux version?

Is the address in the FAQ correct for a mark I ? does it use the same addresses?

#38146 - 06/09/2001 15:38 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: danthep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

OK, i'll try your logo editor, where is the link for the linux version?

Heh. There isn't one. Mine is Windows-only. But hey, it WORKS...

I'd be curious to know if it worked in WINE...

Is the address in the FAQ correct for a mark I ? does it use the same addresses?

Yes. Address is correct for both Mk1 and Mk2.

#38147 - 06/09/2001 22:58 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: tfabris]
danthep
enthusiast

[dantheperson@insomniac dantheperson]$ wget http://www.jps.net/tfabris/logoedit.htm
--17:54:56-- http://www.jps.net:80/tfabris/logoedit.htm
=> `logoedit.htm'
Connecting to www.jps.net:80...
connect: Connection timed out
Retrying.

--17:58:05-- http://www.jps.net:80/tfabris/logoedit.htm
(try: 2) => `logoedit.htm'
Connecting to www.jps.net:80...

#38148 - 07/09/2001 05:28 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: tfabris]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Heh. There isn't one. Mine is Windows-only. But hey, it WORKS...

Ive got a version for unix, which has got your reboot-hack here

Frank van Gestel

#38149 - 07/09/2001 09:22 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: danthep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I hate my ISP.

For now, the address of my home page is http://pweb.jps.net/~tfabris and I don't know what else to do. They are messing around with my stuff and it's really pissing me off.

BOYCOTT EARTHLINK !!!!

#38150 - 18/09/2001 06:18 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: tfabris]
danthep
enthusiast

OK, i tired your editor and it worked :) Not exactly a fix but a workaround.

Now your download editor had two images, one for home, one for in-car.

I was using an image i downloaded from that website that had loads to pick from [http://empeg.miniinfo.net/] that only had one image in it, not two. Are the images on that website in the correct format for direct upload?

How would i use download.c to upload an car image and a home image? I'd like to have the default empeg logo in-home, and my custom image in-car. Currently it has your editors default AC image for at home, and my custom in-car image for in-car)

Does your editor just upload the two different images seperately into seperate memory locations?

#38151 - 18/09/2001 09:38 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: danthep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Are the images on that website in the correct format for direct upload?

The files on the logo site are just bitmaps. They aren't in a format that allows you to squirt them directly into the empeg, as it doesn't accept bitmaps. Complete details on the file format are available via the FAQ section of this BBS.

How would i use download.c to upload an car image and a home image?

The home and car logos are part of the same file. The home logo is the first half of the file, the car logo is the second half of the file. They both go together into the same chunk of flash. Generally, you send both to the player at the same time. I'm sure that with a little hacking, you could figure out how to send the home logo and the car logo seperately, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Remember that my logo editor allows you to cut and paste into the home and car slots separately, so what you should do is to assemble/edit them both they way you like them, then squirt them into the empeg.

Try this trick:

- Go to the logo site with Internet Explorer (this trick doesn't work with Netscape).

- Right-click on one of the images you like, and select "Copy" from the menu that appears.

- Open my logo editor.

- Select "Paste Car" or "Paste Home" from the menu.

See? You can copy and paste directly from the logo site that way. Drakino once said he would put that information on the page with the logos, but I haven't seen it there yet.

I'd like to have the default empeg logo in-home, and my custom image in-car.

This is currently not possible with the existing kernel. If you have a custom image on DC power, then there always will be a custom image on AC power as well.

You could make the custom AC image be a blank screen if you like. Or you could make it be the empeg or Rio logo if you can find a proper copy of one of those images.

#38152 - 18/09/2001 11:17 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Are the images on that website in the correct format for direct upload?

No, not yet. Due to two images being needed to do this, the site dosen't have the ability to generate the custom file needed, yet... I have the linux code needed to do this, I just need to create a nice and easy way of selecting the two images on the site.

Drakino once said he would put that information on the page with the logos, but I haven't seen it there yet.

I haven't touched that site in such a long time. I'll get your tip in when the logo site is migrated as a module to riocar.org.

#38153 - 18/09/2001 17:00 Re: Problem loading custom logo [Re: tfabris]
danthep
enthusiast

thanks for the info, pretty obvious why my first attempt from linux didn't work now.