Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#122603 - 23/10/2002 11:51 Skipping Problems with Beta13
func
new poster

Hey, since installing the developer version of Beta13 (no Hijack or anything else yet), my player starts skipping badly then freezing. It acts like it's running out of CPU time - if I try to skip a whole lot of tracks, or play with the eq settings, the music starts skipping, the controlls lock up, and eventually it either stops completely, or stops skipping and returns to normal operation. Sometimes it shows an hourglass symbol, but not always. Any clues?

#122604 - 23/10/2002 12:05 Re: Skipping Problems with Beta13 [Re: func]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have not experienced this in Beta 13. You might be having other problems such as disk/cable problems unrelated to the software version.

#122605 - 23/10/2002 12:33 Re: Skipping Problems with Beta13 [Re: tfabris]
func
new poster

Hm, it sounded awful similar to the wav problems, but on the other hand, I can't seem to replicate it here in front of my computer, and my car does have some vibration issues right now... I'll see if stopping the car helps next time. Oh, one more thing - rebooting the player would help, but it took 3 or more reboots to get it to work; the first couple reboots were very slow, and would get stuck on "loading visualizations". I'll move the Palm unit over from engine datalogging to watch the serial port on the Empeg, maybe that'll show up some clues too.

Thanks.

#122606 - 23/10/2002 12:42 Re: Skipping Problems with Beta13 [Re: func]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
the first couple reboots were very slow, and would get stuck on "loading visualizations".

Yeah, I'd suspect the hard disks, especially since you're describing vibration problems in the car.

We just got done discussing this with someone else in another thread. The disk drives can tolerate moderate vibration at intermittent intervals because of the caching. But if you're driving along with a constant severe vibration that never stops, then you will be preventing the disks from being able to fill the cache, and perhaps even doing damage to the disks too.

#122607 - 23/10/2002 14:58 Re: Skipping Problems with Beta13 [Re: func]
jasonc

i've had One instance of this, it was exactly like a skipping cd. it skipped twice within a few minutes, with an 1/8 of a second pause..then it locked-up. i pulled it out put it back in. .it hasnt happened since (over a month).
i dont think anything is loose as i changed the ide cable 2 months ago, and it sits quite firmly in the vehicle.

Edited by jasonc (23/10/2002 15:00)