Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#167989 - 27/06/2003 10:05 Weird Alternator Whine Fixed
oliver
addict

Hey Guys, While installing my LED Electronics the other night, i noticed that the main sled power wire had gotten caught on the hard drive tray, and it was crimped between the tray, and the motherboard.

For the past year, at least, in the car only, i had a pretty noticeable alternator whine, only 0db would solve it

Until i moved that power wire, and put it back with the other wires coming from the car connector. Instantly, all whine is gone. Completely perfect sounding music yay! plus i have LEDs in my buttons now

Anyways, i figured i would post this info, just incase anyone else is having some alternator whine they can't figure out. I would only suggest checking this out if you have taken your empeg apart before. If you haven't messed with the guts, then the wire shouldn't be out of place.

#167990 - 28/06/2003 12:57 Re: Weird Alternator Whine Fixed [Re: oliver]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
A suggestion is to use a small cable tidy to bundle the internal power harness together and pull it up over the sled with an insulator wrap between the sled and the bundle to stop chafing.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#167991 - 28/06/2003 18:18 Re: Weird Alternator Whine Fixed [Re: oliver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Wow! I would be very curious to see if other people have had this issue!

#167992 - 10/07/2003 20:43 Re: Weird Alternator Whine Fixed [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I've only had music coming from mine, but no matter how many times I open it up, I've yet to fnd a band or any people at all inside. I know they're there though. I can hear them when I turn the volume up.

The strangest problem I have with my unit is that sometimes the right channel will cut out. Restarting the player or moving it in its sled a bit will usually get it going from both sides again. I haven't had the chance to tst the player in another sled at home yet. The docking connector feels fine and looks fine on both sled and player. The second strangest was the play freezing up a couple of times (as described in another thread from a while back with no solution I believe). All I need is time... Alas...

Bruno

#167993 - 12/07/2003 04:13 Re: Weird Alternator Whine Fixed [Re: hybrid8]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
What would be a good idea is to remove the sled from the car without disconnecting it, and check that none of the sled wires are pulling loose.

One thing I do now on all sled harnesses is to sort out the wires so that they run neatly ("Top" layer wires, "Bottom" layer wires) and then bundle them about 2 cm behind the connector with a cable tie. This gives a bit of strees relief and ensures no one wire is being pulled.

I am pretty sure my player has lots of little people in it, but they run and hide when I take the lid off so I've never seen them. Yet. I'll get 'em one day....
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015