Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#195679 - 01/01/2004 01:29 Player freezes after two minutes
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hi guys,

My MK2A just started freezing up mysteriously. Basically, it boots up fine and plays and operates correctly until it hits 2 minutes of playback and then everything stops except for Hijack, which can still be accessed and manipulated. During the 2 minute period, I can switch songs, spinning up the hard drive in the process or just let it play without intervening- either way it freezes at 2 minutes. I've tried the FAQ, reinstalling Consumer 2.0 final and Hijack, replacing the cable, and inspecting the IDE header. Everything checks out, but it still freezes up. If it happens at exactly two minutes, I would think it is software related, but I've put on a fresh copy and it did nothing to help.

Anyone ever seen this before or know why 2 minutes is the magic number? How can I fix this? This is driving me nuts.

Happy New Year!

Stu

#195680 - 01/01/2004 04:11 Re: Player freezes after two minutes [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is it possible that, each time it hits that two minute mark, it's trying to cache up a bad song file? i.e., the same song file each time is what's crashing the player? Have you tried playing a different playlist within those two minutes?

Next step is to watch the serial port at crash time.

#195681 - 01/01/2004 09:11 Re: Player freezes after two minutes [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Also, do you have any third party software on it? I know you reloaded the kernels, but do you have anything that would be using up memory? Perhaps you are either running out of memory or hitting a hard memory failure... I agree with Tony - see if you can run the player while connected to hyperterm and try to capture any console errors.

#195682 - 01/01/2004 11:31 Re: Player freezes after two minutes [Re: pgrzelak]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Thanks Tony and Paul! No I'm not running any third party apps and yes the problem is there on other playlists as well. I tried running the console, but of course the thing started working at that point. I didn't see anything alarming on the output which I only got at boot time. If it starts doing it again, I'll try retry. Yesterday it did froze at least ten times in a row though, so it seems odd that it would stop all of a sudden.

Stu