Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#215595 - 06/05/2004 12:42 RVA2 Frames?
Scorp1us
journeyman

Looking at the normailze uttilty, it says it can normalize a mp3 w/o having to re-encode the whole file. Says: "If you use an mp3 player other than xmms, you'll have to bug the author to support RVA2 frames in ID3 tags."

Is it already done? I'm running 2.0

#215596 - 06/05/2004 13:03 Re: RVA2 Frames? [Re: Scorp1us]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The current car player software does not do what you're asking, no.

#215597 - 07/05/2004 10:20 Re: RVA2 Frames? [Re: Scorp1us]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Looking at the normailze uttilty, it says it can normalize a mp3 w/o having to re-encode the whole file. Says: "If you use an mp3 player other than xmms, you'll have to bug the author to support RVA2 frames in ID3 tags."
Oh great, another standard. See various comments on the Karma BBS for why ReplayGain got pulled from Karma (and thus car-player v3).

There is a program called mp3gain, which doesn't "re-encode" the whole file, but just frobs with the MP3 format's per-packet gain field to produce the same effect. That is currently your only way of getting RG on the car-player, and then only for MP3.

Peter

#215598 - 07/05/2004 10:49 Re: RVA2 Frames? [Re: peter]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
That is currently your only way of getting RG on the car-player, and then only for MP3.
Which is why I think the best approach (for the car player, anyway) involves revisiting the ill-fated per-song gain adjustment feature that almost made it into v2. The only downsides are that it requires a first pass through the song to do the calculation, and the gain isn't stored in the music file itself, rather, in the dynamic data partition. I'd be willing to live with both of those restrictions on the empeg, but I'm told that the whole concept doesn't translate well to the portables... So I won't hold my breath for this one.

The idea of a 3rd party application (perhaps the one I'm developing) doing gain adjustment has been talked about, but I'm not quite confident enough in my kernel abilities to give the harder parts a shot. If there were an easy API I could call to apply an X dB or X percent gain to the current player volume, I'd be happy to support one or more of these gain adjustment standards... Just haven't seen anyone willing/able to take a stab at the kernel stuff yet.