Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#241057 - 11/11/2004 19:00 Buttons and remote not working
jane
enthusiast

Loc: Copenhagen SW, Denmark
Problem: I just picked up my spare empeg, and now it does not work... It boots all right, and shows a paused song, but the buttons don't work. The knob doesn't work and the remote doesn't work... The display is fine. The knobs make the normal "click" when depressed.

Any suggestions?

Marius

#241058 - 11/11/2004 19:04 Re: Buttons and remote not working [Re: jane]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH

#241059 - 11/11/2004 21:26 Re: Buttons and remote not working [Re: JBjorgen]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
If you basically boot the thing and start hitting track forward repeatedly, you can sometimes skip to the next track before any of the bad track is read in, and get back in business that way.... assuming that's the problem.

#241060 - 11/11/2004 21:32 Re: Buttons and remote not working [Re: Daria]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

If it is showing the song paused, I suspect it might not be the track that is bad. That would cause more of a reboot loop, and that would be visible on the front panel. You may want to open the unit and check to see if the display cable is completely seated on the mainboard. There might be enough contact to illuminate the display, but there may be a problem with the control path.

Also, please post a full boot log. If there is a bad chip on the display board (or in the signal path), it might show in the boot log.

Another thing to try is to control the player with hyperterminal. By sending serial commands, you should be able to advance, unpause and test the unit that way. It would eliminate the songs and non-display/control hardware.

Lastly, you might want to reload the player software or verify your config.ini through shell. It might be possible that the previous owner modified the control codes - unlikely but possible.