Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#275942 - 12/02/2006 15:45 Help on upgrading Kernal
declain
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Have a Rio Car version player. It has 2.00 consumer on it currently. Computer finds the player without a problem on USB, but will not recognize it using serial. I am using a serial cable purchased from Radio shack. Tried on 3 computers, with no results. Could it be a setting on the player or do I need a special serial cable?

#275943 - 12/02/2006 16:14 Re: Help on upgrading Kernal [Re: declain]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You need a null-modem serial cable. Or a null-modem adapter for the one you currently have.

#275944 - 12/02/2006 17:33 Re: Help on upgrading Kernal [Re: declain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Tried on 3 computers, with no results.

That's a very good diagnostic step, I'm glad you tried that first. Yes, what he said is most likely correct, you bought a straight-through serial cable when what you need is a null-modem serial cable. The difference is, on a null-modem cable, the transmit and receive wires are reversed, or "crossed".

If you happen to have the sled loose (i.e., you haven't installed it in the car yet), you can plug into the serial cable on the sled and plug the AC adapter into the player through the little hole in the sled made for that purpose, and do your serial fiddling that way. The sled's serial plug has the crossover connection (RX and TX wires crossed).

Or you could just go buy the right kind of cable at Radio Shack.

More information on serial connection and testing here.

#275945 - 12/02/2006 19:28 Re: Help on upgrading Kernal [Re: wfaulk]
declain
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Thanks for the info. I had in empeg in the past, but forgot whether it was a null modem cable. I am actually not planning on putting this unit in a car. Building a wooden enclosure for it, as it will be going into a stereo system in a game room. So, yes, the sled is still out, and I will try that now.

Thanks Again!