Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3848 - 24/03/2000 17:37 Speaker Pop and 1k resistors
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've just installed the Empeg into my new car and I'm getting speaker pop problems (when starting the car with the Empeg on) that weren't present in the previous car. I'm considering the "solder a 1k resistor across the RCA terminals" fix, but I wanted to ask some stuff before doing so...

Does it affect the sound of the ouput on the RCA terminals? Does the output get quiter or something?

If it doesn't affect the sound, and it solves the speaker pop problem, then why isn't that sort of thing built-in by default in all car equipment?

Why does it work?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#3849 - 24/03/2000 17:48 Re: Speaker Pop and 1k resistors [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It doesn't affect the sound as the output drivers in the empeg are quite capable of driving low-ohm loads (100 ohms or so) - but it does discharge the output caps a bit quicker on power off, which is where the thud prevention comes from.

Normal in-car equipment (and the mk2 empeg) has both a permanent battery line and an accessory feed: when you turn it off, it actually stays powered up for a few seconds after turning the amps off in order to prevent such thuds.

Hugo