Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16828 - 05/09/2000 18:38 warning!!! off topic question
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
hope i dont get flamed for this one, but since everyone here is so knowledgable AND helpful, here goes...

2 computers with internet ip addresses through a cable modem connection. both running some version of windows. is there any way, using the lmhosts file, to map a network drive from one machine to another? i was under the impression that the lmhosts file allowed machines on large networks to connect through network neighborhood as long as you have the netbios name and ip address in the lmhosts file. i found info on the web that hinted that this was possible, but i could not get it to work. any ideas?

again, sorry for being so off topic. hope you can all forgive me.

thanks,
jeremy

12 gig, green...

#16829 - 05/09/2000 18:58 Re: warning!!! off topic question [Re: jstrain]
BillB

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
lmhosts will provide name resolution - That allows entry of the computer name instead of having to use the IP address. The problem you're running into is a different issue all together.

MS Networking uses NetBIOS. In order to use network neighborhood, and map drives, TCP ports 137 and 139 (there may be more...) need to be open on both ends so NB info can be passed back and forth. It's likely that your ISP (not to mention probably a lot of other routers on the 'net) has these ports blocked. As far as I know, you're probably going to be stuck with ftp, telnet, etc.

Someone else feel free to jump in here if I'm mistaken...

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 18 GB /
Green

#16830 - 05/09/2000 19:06 Re: warning!!! off topic question [Re: BillB]
BillB

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
Actually, I just thought of something -- If you're really wanting drive mappable(?) access - You could set up the MS VPN client on each machine, and use it as a tunnel. That would let you map drives, you'd just have more overhead.

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 18 GB /
Green

#16831 - 06/09/2000 11:00 Re: warning!!! off topic question [Re: jstrain]
PeterH
new poster

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
If you have fixed IP addresses on both Pcs or are willing to modify the lmhosts file each time they change you could open the firewall for ports 135 -137 UDP and TCP. this would allow netbios comms between your PCs. however it is not really secure and you would need to have access to the firewall(s) inbetween. A better idea would be to use VPN, but one of the machines needs to be running NT or win2000 as 98 has only the VPN client as far as i am aware. there are other VPNish solutions that you could use though, such as winroute (from www.tinysoftware.com) or wingate. both of these allow encrypted connections between PCs. The disadvantage is more software to gonfigure and maintain, the advantage is they will dynamically maintain the IP (I think) possibly your easiest option would be to run aN FTP server on one or both the PCs in question and use windows explorer to look at the remote PCs IP address. be sure to set Usernames and Passwords or anyone can wander in to your files. in the remote PC (relative to the other PC) just use the address "ftp://Username:Password@remoteIP" that should allow Explorer to "browse" the remote PC and display the files as a "normal" window.

PeterH
" 'tis better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

#16832 - 07/09/2000 11:02 Re: warning!!! off topic question [Re: jstrain]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
You didnt really specify if the computers were sharing a cable modem or if they each have there own. If both computers are in the same LAN and share a cable modem my suggestion would be much different than the VPN or firewall route.

I have added IPX/SPX protocol to both machines and disabled file and print sharing over IP for security purposes. If this is your situation, I would be happy to explain this further.

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)