Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25398 - 21/01/2001 15:52 shuffle functions?
rockstar
enthusiast

anyone have any thoughts of developing a shuffle function that will dictate that say every 5th song will come from a given playlist.

Ex i shuffle everything in my deck, but every 5th song is a comedy bit off my comedy playlist.

Any thoughts?

#25399 - 22/01/2001 18:46 Re: shuffle functions? [Re: rockstar]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
every 5th song will come from a given playlist.

This kind of defeats the whole idea of shuffling... but you could accomplish this by just making a playlist that contained all of your other playlists and putting your comedy playlist in enough times that the total number of comedy songs equalled 20% of the total number of songs in the playlist.

Sounds like more work than it would be worth, though...

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#25400 - 23/01/2001 03:22 Re: shuffle functions? [Re: rockstar]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Ex i shuffle everything in my deck, but every 5th song is a comedy bit off my comedy playlist.

You can do it at the moment with nested playlists. Make a playlist called "Mixture" and mark it auto-repeat. Then inside Mixture, make a playlist called "Songs" with links to all your songs or normal playlists in (i.e. drag-and-drop in emplode, don't re-upload). Mark the Songs playlist "pick 4". Then, also inside Mixture and next to Songs, make a playlist called "Snippets" with links to all your comedy snippets in. Mark the Snippets playlist "pick 1".

Then play the Mixture playlist. The empeg will pick 4 tracks from Songs, then 1 from Snippets, then 4 from Songs, then 1 from Snippets, etc...

The only disadvantage to this is that whenever it picks one (or four), it doesn't currently pay any attention to what it picked last time, so there's a small but unfortunately non-zero chance that it'll pick the same snippet twice in a row. It'd be nice to fix this in time for 1.1, but it's not simple and probably won't make the cut.

Peter

#25401 - 24/01/2001 09:24 Re: shuffle functions? [Re: peter]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
You can do it at the moment with nested playlists. Make a playlist called "Mixture" and mark it auto-repeat. Then inside Mixture, make a playlist called "Songs" with links to all your songs or normal playlists in (i.e. drag-and-drop in emplode, don't re-upload). Mark the Songs playlist "pick 4". Then, also inside Mixture and next to Songs, make a playlist called "Snippets" with links to all your comedy snippets in. Mark the Snippets playlist "pick 1".

Then play the Mixture playlist. The empeg will pick 4 tracks from Songs, then 1 from Snippets, then 4 from Songs, then 1 from Snippets, etc...

The only disadvantage to this is that whenever it picks one (or four), it doesn't currently pay any attention to what it picked last time, so there's a small but unfortunately non-zero chance that it'll pick the same snippet twice in a row. It'd be nice to fix this in time for 1.1, but it's not simple and probably won't make the cut.

This might be a task for "least recently played" shuffling. If the "always shuffle" would default to (or be switchable to) take the least recently played songs most likely, the chance that it takes the same snippet again would be as close to zero as possible, I guess. Depends on how strong the "prefer LRP songs" would prefer them though.
However, the overkill solution to this would be scripted shuffling, a small script language that has access to the data that is stored with the songs and playlists (when was it last played, what fid corresponds to it etc.) and outputs a simple stream of fids. This would be sooooo cooool.

cu,
sven
(MkII 12GB blue now green, #080000113)

#25402 - 25/01/2001 22:06 Re: shuffle functions? [Re: peter]
rockstar
enthusiast

ok, i obviously need to spend some quality time with my empeg, becuase i umm, i have NO idea where to make these playlists, and make them do what you are saying.. I assume emplode.. i have aobut 15 gigs of mp3's and all i have been doing as of yet is arranging them in folders via artist, then album inside the folder, and so on.

#25403 - 26/01/2001 10:23 Re: shuffle functions? [Re: rockstar]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
i have NO idea where to make these playlists, and make them do what you are saying..

In Emplode, what you call a "folder"... that's a playlist.

Right-click on a playlist and select "properties". Then click on the "Playlist" tab. The options he's describing, are there.