Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#31136 - 15/05/2001 09:08 Powersupply in the Dockingcage
Sevenger
journeyman

Loc: Hamburg/Germany
I've built a slot in my Computer for the Empeg.
I've added a docking cage for normal radios (I know the Empeg is much more than a radio, it's a kind of life-style :-)
but the Empeg doesn't fit good enough so I'm afraid it could be damaged after a several times of removing.
But I don't know how to use the standard docking cage with the power lines for a car-battery.
What happens if I just supply it via the normal adapter.
Will that work (I don't really know why not but it was a little bit too expensive to test just a little bit).
Or do I have to supply it via the docking cage cables.
And if I have to do so how exactly can I connect it?
Please help me.

Btw. when can I order a second docking cage+a red displaycover?

#31137 - 15/05/2001 09:30 Re: Powersupply in the Dockingcage [Re: Sevenger]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I am not too sure of what you are wanting to do but i have built a home docking cage for the empeg. I just use the normal home power supply and RCA cables and an ethernet cable into the back of the unit when the emeg is not in the hole the cables hang out when you want to plug it in i just connect the cables and slide it in.

I have used a stanndard empeg cage with the docking connector removed. The cables are slotted through the hole in the cage which line up perfectly ( even the home power supply good thinking empeg) the trick i has discovered to get the cables to slide through the hole easily is to behind the cage tape the three together and then the thicker cables RCA and Ethernet pull the power cable back and it slots in nicely.

You could power the empeg through the docking connector and take the RCAs out this way but the in car RCA are of a higher voltage i think. Also you have the problem of connecting in either your usb or ethernet cable which will need pluggin in anyway.

As to using a standard car radio mount i would be hesitant to do that as they won't be a good fit and the little dogs that pop out the top of the empeg will be held down which won't let the handle fold flush. As to damaging the box of the empeg i think that would take a good bit of force being 1mm stainless where as most stereos are 0.5mm tinplate. The front though might not take to kindly to pushing and shoving.

If you look at the links on the geek site you should find Brians site where he has made something similar or look back and you can find my post on the stand i have.

#31138 - 15/05/2001 09:42 Re: Powersupply in the Dockingcage [Re: Sevenger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You can purchase a second docking cage for home use, yes.

Once you've done that, you have two choices:

A) You can use the "car" wiring built in to the docking cage and supply 12 volts to it using the Empeg power supply.

B) You can use the "gaps" in the docking cage to connect your home wiring, and ignore the car wiring altogether.

Method "A" provides the easiest connections and doesn't require any funny fiddling with the wiring. However, the player will "always think it is in the car", and won't know the difference between home and car. Also, there is no ethernet connection on the car docking cage.

Method "B" requires you to fiddle with the wiring, perhaps even creating your own custom mountings for docking the home wires. Others have done this, even going so far as to make a docked ethernet connector. But it's not easy. It does have the advantage of allowing the player to know the difference between home and car, and its volume, EQ curves, loudness, etc. will change when you move it between the two environments.

#31139 - 15/05/2001 10:37 Re: Powersupply in the Dockingcage [Re: tfabris]
Sevenger
journeyman

I think I will use "Method A".
But is the shop on the empeg homepage opened again already.
I think they've closed it for reconstruction or something.

#31140 - 15/05/2001 10:39 Re: Powersupply in the Dockingcage [Re: Sevenger]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Danger will robinson

Beware of the 4 volt outputs it might fry something in the home system

#31141 - 15/05/2001 10:44 Re: Powersupply in the Dockingcage [Re: thinfourth2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The 4-volt outputs shouldn't hurt anything as far as I know.

#31142 - 15/05/2001 10:52 Re: Powersupply in the Dockingcage [Re: tfabris]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

i had been told that shoving 4 volts into some of the more fragile home amplifers can be bad i might be wrong i might be right

#31143 - 15/05/2001 14:08 Re: Powersupply in the Dockingcage [Re: thinfourth2]
Sevenger
journeyman

I don't want to learn by experience!
One day, my computer was again complete open for various modifications, I touched the computer with my foot.
A powercable, wich hang around, touched the gfx-card.
It melled a little bit, the computer turnd of and I could by a new mainboard new hdd (only one of three was damaged) and a new gfx-card!
Not very nice!!

#31144 - 16/05/2001 16:08 Re: Powersupply in the Dockingcage [Re: thinfourth2]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Turn the volume all the way down, and then turn it up little by little. When you get distortion, it's overdriving the input.

Hugo