Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#57949 - 11/01/2002 14:30 Problems with MirrorDir...
ClownBurner

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
OK, I got Mirrordir working on my Linux box (RH7.1) and got the v116 hijack kernels loaded on both players. I connected a console to the 'slave' Empeg, and dropped to the shell and did 'rw' and 'rwm.' I then started this operation:

FooServ> mirrordir ftp://player1/drive0/fids/ ftp://player2/drive0/fids/

It worked fine for a while, copying about ~200 files or so, then I started getting "Can't open file for writing" and "permission denied" errors. I aborted the transfer and rebooted. I got "Can't unmask IDE device" on the slave unit, so I removed the power and rebooted again. It rebuilt the database and showed however many songs had been downloaded.

So no harm was done, but it didn't copy correctly either. The unit was in the shell, so I fail to see how anything in the fids directory could be locked, but I beseech those of greater wisdom to impart some token unto me..

If I can get this working, I think I can write a windows application to do the work that MirrorDir is doing, at least for the empeg special case..

#57950 - 11/01/2002 14:53 Re: Problems with MirrorDir... [Re: ClownBurner]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I got "Can't unmask IDE device" on the slave unit, so I removed the power and rebooted again.

Could be trouble with the drive, such as a cable problem.

Also, were you using the actual original power supplies with both units, or was one a "scrounged" power supply? One previous report of the "unmask" error was traced to an inadequate power supply.

#57951 - 11/01/2002 14:57 Re: Problems with MirrorDir... [Re: tfabris]
ClownBurner

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
No, that went away as soon as I rebooted. That unit was using the original power supply.

The unit works fine all the time, it was just that one little hiccup.

I'm more interested in solving the permissions failures on the destination unit before that problem...

#57952 - 11/01/2002 23:15 Re: Problems with MirrorDir... [Re: ClownBurner]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Hi. I have seen the odd "permissions failure" message scroll by once in a while as well. Not sure of the cause yet, but thus far I have just re-run mirrordir to pick up where it left off without much trouble. Eventually I'll find and fix whatever it is.. probably just the kernel running low on memory or some such nonsense.

Keep me posted.

Cheers