Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#87043 - 12/04/2002 07:22 SPDIF output kits?
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

With the growing number of people on this board that use their (backup) empegs as MP3 players for their home stereo, I wonder if anyone could throw together some sort of SPDIF output kit like Brian's backlighted buttons kit (the electronics part, not the shine-through buttons).
In other words, could anyone put a kit together with the right I2S to SPDIF converter chip, appropriate SPDIF output socket and whatever else might be needed? I am thinking about adding SPDIF output to my backup unit, but I have absolutely no knowledge regarding audio electronics, but I do have enough soldering experience to solder an add-on board to those I2S connector pads on the MkII(a) board.

There is still a "but" to this: If I added SPDIF, would I still be able to use the empeg's EQ? Even on Aux-In? If both could be answered with Yes, I would be all for it. If only the first would be answered Yes, I would probably still go for it. If both would be answered No, I wouldn't see much use in SPDIF output.

cu,
sven

#87044 - 12/04/2002 07:28 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: smu]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yes, the IIS stream is exactly what goes to the DACs (you can configure it to be front/rear pairs or front pair plus sub (4th order lowpass) and centre (L+R mix) - this would allow you to get a sub out whilst still getting the 4 analogue outputs from the 7705.

The CS8405 should be able to be run in hw config mode, so that there is no wiggling of pins necessary to configure the chip. ISTR that you *may* need a 5v supply to the 8405, though they say it in theory works from 3.3v an errata noted that you had to run the output VDD supply from 5v - this is something we came across with the Rio Central design. The IIS power pads on the empeg main board are only 3.3v I think.

Hugo

#87045 - 12/04/2002 07:30 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: smu]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I still could. If you are using it as a home deck, you wouldn't need EQ because the output would have to go into a reciever or at least a seperate DAC. Neither my CD player, DVD player, MD player, DirecTV nor VCR have their own EQ. All of that is done on my Dolby Digital/DTS receiver. And that receiver has plenty of inputs, I wouldn't need to use my Aux. Of course, this is just me, but I feel it would be pretty typical.

Now, if this was for a car aplication (feeding an amp with a digital input) then lacking an EQ would hurt.

#87046 - 12/04/2002 07:56 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
smu
old hand

Hi.

Currently, I don't have a home amp/receiver with SP/DIF input, but I do plan on getting one soon (to finally make use of DTS sound of my DVDs). The reason why I would like to use the EQ of the empeg is twofold:
  1. I would like to use it for certain albums that were poorly mastered and need some twisted EQ settings to compensate for that.
  2. I have a VCR that is pretty good (well, extremely good, if you ask me). The only problem about that VCR is its stereo output. That output is distorted to an annoying degree (only the RCA output though, the EURO-AV/SCART output is 100% ok) , so I would like to fix that using the empeg's EQ, too.
So that is my reasoning for keeping the EQ.

cu,
sven

#87047 - 12/04/2002 07:57 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: altman]
smu
old hand

Hi Hugo.

Thanks for the input. Just in case: is there a convenient place on the empeg's PCB where I could pick up the 5V power, if the CS8405 needs it?

cu,
sven

#87048 - 12/04/2002 13:19 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: smu]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Although I have limited knowledge of electronic circuitry design, I am learning and in fact am trying to put together just such a kit. I will be experimenting shortly with the CS8405 chip and see what I can come up with from the CS8405 eval. board schematic. Still to be worked out is the issue of exactly which connections need to be made on the IIS pads on the Empeg board and where they go on the CS8405 chip.

Stu

#87049 - 12/04/2002 13:25 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: maczrool]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
And if you are good enough, you can make some for the Rio Reciever crowd too!

#87050 - 12/04/2002 14:46 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Now THAT I'd be interested in

#87051 - 12/04/2002 15:12 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: smu]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
In reply to:

Just in case: is there a convenient place on the empeg's PCB where I could pick up the 5V power, if the CS8405 needs it?

If there's not, then all you really need is a 5v regulator (I think it's a 7805) to drop the 12v down to 5v. Maybe some diodes too to protect from reverse polarity.

#87052 - 12/04/2002 17:15 Re: SPDIF output kits? [Re: smu]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yes, the 5v PSU jumpers at the back are the best place.

Hugo