Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#90430 - 26/04/2002 01:28 Connecting to home stereo system
Spangel
new poster

I am having trouble getting any sound out of my new Rio Car when connected to my home stereo. I have disconnected my CD player from the amplifier AUX and plugged the leads into the back of the Rio Car line outputs, no sound. I have tried using the standard lead supplied with all CD or Tuner separates, again no sound. I have tried another stereo, no sound. I have tried with the Rio Car in the sled and using the line out rear and line out front, no sound.

I have not had the Rio Car installed in my car yet so I am unable to test in the car.

Am I missing something, or am I just using the wrong leads?

Nick Wilkin

#90431 - 26/04/2002 01:46 Re: Connecting to home stereo system [Re: Spangel]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Have you ever gotten any sound out of it? I assume you do have loaded songs onto it...

/Michael

#90432 - 26/04/2002 01:52 Re: Connecting to home stereo system [Re: Spangel]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
SIlly suggestion, but you have turned the volume up on the empeg unit itself, right?

Hugo

#90433 - 26/04/2002 02:06 Re: Connecting to home stereo system [Re: Spangel]
Spangel
new poster

Firstly, yes I have loaded MP3s onto the Rio Car and the visuals show that a track is playing. This is the first time I have used it and therefore I have never heard it play.

Secondly, no the volume on the Rio Car is set to 0db as recommended in the user guide as the volume should be adjusted through the amplifier to ensure optimum signal to noise ratio, or so it says!

Nick Wilkin

Edited by Spangel (26/04/2002 02:10)

#90434 - 26/04/2002 02:30 Re: Connecting to home stereo system [Re: Spangel]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I just wanted to explain Hugo's question. For some reason, some empegs/riocars are set do -indefinite dB (no sound at all) on first start. My MkII wasn't, my MkIIa was and the MkIIa (from the same batch as mine) wasn't. No idea why.
Anyway, with your RioCar set to 0dB, you should get sound out of your empeg.

To me, this sounds like a problem for [email protected], 'cause you really should get some sound out of it. You already ruled out cable and amplifier issues, so this seems to be a defect of the riocar itself. You should really contact support.

cu,
sven

#90435 - 26/04/2002 09:56 Re: Connecting to home stereo system [Re: Spangel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Remember that "0db" means the volume is turned all the way up, not all the way down.

If you are sure you have turned it all the way up to maximum 0db volume, and you get no sound out of the RCA output plugs, then contact support, as you might have a faulty unit.

#90436 - 26/04/2002 12:07 Re: Connecting to home stereo system [Re: Spangel]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Try hooking it up to a pair of small earbud headphones to rule out amplifier problems.

#90437 - 26/04/2002 14:22 Re: Connecting to home stereo system [Re: acurasquirrel_]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
I might also try disabling the 0db option and try turning the volume control to see what happens. There have been times with my unit when it will start up and have no volume. This seems to occur if I stop the bootup process in the middle. Such as when the car doesn't start quite right and I turn the key off and back on again before the unit had a chance to finish booting. I know this is an AC power problem and probably isnt related. Good Luck