Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#93669 - 13/05/2002 20:39 Blown Up Empeg 60 Gig Unit ??? Please help
jlipchitz
new poster

I had the local Shop install my Empeg in my new truck they seem to have blown it up..

The Unit powers on the display is grabled and ghosted and after it gets to the part where it is reading the music Database it shuts off and you need to remove it from the sled to get it to reset or come back on..

The Display is garbled when it is hooked to house power but it doesn't shut down,, it doesn't play but it doesn't shut down.

I tried reseting all of the cables inside and leaving it turned off for a while no help.

Please please please if you have any ideas or suggestions post here or Email me at [email protected].

I am between a rock and a hard place... they want to send it to there shop to try ?? and fix it.

There are no more for sale (other then Ebay Rape Prices) and it would take a lawyer to get them to replace it (something I can't afford)

so once again HELP

P.S. I purchased the unit almost 2 years ago so it is WAY out of warrentty

#93670 - 13/05/2002 21:00 Re: Blown Up Empeg 60 Gig Unit ??? Please help [Re: jlipchitz]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Firstly, I hope you didn't pay that shop a cent for their disservice. And I wouldn't let them touch the unit itself with a bargepole either. If they've accepted liability then I'd get them to pay the repair costs of sending the unit to the people who know how to repair it...ie Empeg Ltd.

The garbled display *might* a blown fuse, the fact that the unit reboots itself in the truck, but not on AC suggests that there is a problem with the loom wiring, and given that the shop has just been playing with this....

My *guess* is that the Remote Amp Turn on may be shorted to ground. Are you sure that the unit isn't playing when in AC mode? Can you get a boot log from the serial port?

Edited by genixia (13/05/2002 21:04)

#93671 - 13/05/2002 21:12 Re: Blown Up Empeg 60 Gig Unit ??? Please help [Re: genixia]
jlipchitz
new poster

Installer told me there was a weird noise/feedback before it "Wigged out"

unit doesn't reboot its self it shuts it self off,,

I have a loaner radio from them right now (POS Kenwood with a humm that would wake the dead)

The issue is if they fix it or can fix it they pay for the repair... if I send it off I have to pay for it. (Just spent my tax return and bonus on new speakers amps and crossovers SO Far behond broke that the light from broke will take a million years to reach me)

thanks for the Info and the support

P.S. anyone that has instructions on how to make new Images for the pan visual please send them to me I am a fair drawer and would love to have some custom ones made us for when I get the unit back

Please of please let it be a blown display fuse

#93672 - 13/05/2002 22:23 Re: Blown Up Empeg 60 Gig Unit ??? Please help [Re: jlipchitz]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I am sure the empeg guys can fix it. I sure as heck wouldn't let someone in their shop look at it if they can't even install a car stereo.

This just once again proves your better off installing it yourself you can't screw up much worse

Matt

#93673 - 14/05/2002 00:32 Re: Blown Up Empeg 60 Gig Unit ??? Please help [Re: jlipchitz]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Don't let them anywhere near the guts of your empeg it is nothing what so ever like a car stereo.

My local stereo installer sayes he won't go anywhere near it as he has no idea what it does.

#93674 - 14/05/2002 01:58 Re: Blown Up Empeg 60 Gig Unit ??? Please help [Re: jlipchitz]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Contact support; it's incredibly rare that we can't fix a unit - mostly the problems are pretty cheap to fix, the shipping being the biggest part of the cost!

Sounds like a blown display board fuse, but definitely check the amp remote wire isn't shorted to anything.

Hugo

#93675 - 14/05/2002 08:00 Re: Blown Up Empeg 60 Gig Unit ??? Please help [Re: jlipchitz]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
If you've had it for over 2yrs (are the Mk2's that old yet? - probably just barely) then the eBay prices are still a bargain! Besides, you voided your warranty when you added the drives (the initial Mk2's didn't come in 60GB I don't think..) But none of that matters because service should be cheap... the real concern is HOW is happened. I'd hate for you to get your player back from Cambridge and pop it in your truck just to have it happen again...

Sounds like you'll be fine - you're in good hands now!

#93676 - 14/05/2002 20:22 Re: Blown Up Empeg 60 Gig Unit ??? Please help [Re: jlipchitz]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
sounds like the "blown micro fuse" problem that many of us have seen (usually due to opening up the unit and mis-plugging things back together again, but can also happen due to power spikes, reversed wiring during the install, etc..

If you're handy with an ohmmeter, it's easy enough to open up the unit (violates the warranty, but at this point..) and check it out.

-ml