Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#91838 - 03/05/2002 10:53 Player dropped into standby mysteriously?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Can anyone think of a reason why my player would drop mysteriously into standby mode while It's sitting here playing at my desk?

I do not believe I set any kind of a timer in Hijack. The Hijack screen blanking feature was not activated. The IR remote was not accidentally pressed, and I don't have any other IR sources in the vicinity that I know of.

It was hooked up to ethernet, but I don't know of anyone on our LAN who would have known the player existed, let alone browsing to it. It doesn't show up on any internal server lists that I know of, someone would have had to go directly to the IP address in order to get anything from it.

#91839 - 03/05/2002 12:35 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tfabris]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

In the middle of a song? End of a song? Or end of a playlist? Maybe it's a bug related to the new power off after feature.

Tom

#91840 - 03/05/2002 12:44 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
This one is, you guessed it, covered in the FAQ.

#91841 - 03/05/2002 12:52 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Tony, it has been proven that you are cursed... You even have quite a few versions of HiJack dedicated to your empeg! I think you've even been mentioned in empeg software release notes!

#91842 - 05/05/2002 06:00 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tfabris]
Janosch
journeyman

Loc: Berlin, Germany
I have this from time to time but, in my car. Mostly when using the tuner. No button was pressed for some minutes and then the player is dropping mysteriously in standby.

Seems to be a bug.

janosch

#91843 - 06/05/2002 05:11 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tonyc]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
LOL - is this the same as the flashes in the eyes of astronauts? Is the component size in the empeg such that quantum effects can cause such large scale issues?

MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#91844 - 30/05/2002 05:25 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tfabris]

I am experiencing this regularely on my two players. I believe to have nailed it down to Hijack beeing the source for this. The players run fine with a standard image, but as soon as Hihack is installed I get random jumps to standby mode. In DC Mode as well as in AC mode. No Timer was activated in Hijack. I even set the timer action to beep to see if it would now start to beep in random intervals, but it still kept going to standby. So it doesn't seem to be directely timer related, but must still be something within the hijack code.
I don't think the cause are foreign IR sources. The very same empeg at the very same place, runs fine with a standard beta image but drops to standby here and then with a Hijack kernel.

#91845 - 30/05/2002 09:09 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Mmm.. I've dug through Hijack (again!) and there is no code anywhere in Hijack that could do this on purpose.

Bugs of this sort are almost always due to "jiffies wraparound". The kernel "jiffies" variable is the scheduler "clock tick counter", which is incremented by an interrupt every 1/100 of a second. Lots of kernel code uses this to time events, with the caveat that it WILL wrap-around periodically (it's a 32-bit variable, you do the math..)
and thus a time in the future can appear to be a time from the past unless care is taken.

I suppose it may be possible that the new standby timers in the player beta's have a bug? Or maybe the jiffies-fix has triggered a latent bug in the player somewhere? Or maybe I'm just blind.

The Hijack source code is out there for all to see.

-ml

#91846 - 09/06/2002 20:58 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: mlord]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Crap... This just happened to me for the first time ... This drop into standby thing. Hijack v275. I guess the jiffies display isn't in the hijack menu anymore or I'd take a look and see if it was a wraparound bug. Oh well. If I didn't have a project plan due tomorrow I would do some debugging, but I just wanted to confirm that I'm seeing this one too.

#91847 - 10/06/2002 06:23 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tonyc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Yeah, I kinda miss the jiffies too sometimes. But since my own player is used in my home office 95% of the time, I can always just surf to it with HTTP and view an approximation of jiffies there instead (eg. the "timer" line from /proc/interrupts).

Cheers

#91848 - 11/06/2002 04:40 Re: Player dropped into standby mysteriously? [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I just got a new player the other week (from support, I had the bad audio chip) and yesterday was the first day I put music on it. I was playing it through my pc speakers. Within an hour I had the stuck jiffies bug. 20 min later, I rebooted and put 2.00b11 and HiJack v254. Throughout the next 9 hours, the thing dropped into standby at least 3 times.... odd.