Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#132427 - 30/12/2002 23:04 How-To Wireless Empeg wiring
thermo
stranger

I know the subject is a little odd, as I'm asking how to wire a wireless system

seriously, my question is this: how can I wire up a wireless system in my car so I can use the vehicle power to run the WAP, but have it turn off when the Empeg turns off? Ideally, this would be the way it would work:

I install a switch in the dash, which I push when I want to use the wireless data transfer. I walk inside, upload all my songs, and I make sure I hit the "power unit off when transfer completed" button. When the transfer is done, it turns off not only the Empeg but the access point as well. The switch may need to put the unit into "home" mode instead of "car" mode, this I'm not sure of. I searched the forum for the keyword "wireless", but I got the bloody phone book. If anyone can give me a thread to follow on how to wire this up, it would be awesome. For reference, I have a Linksys wireless access point router in my house.

Thanks in advance

-James

#132428 - 30/12/2002 23:19 Re: How-To Wireless Empeg wiring [Re: thermo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Ideally, the WAP would be always-on. Or perhaps your switch would control its power directly.

Why do you want the WAP to shut off when the empeg goes into standby mode? The whole idea is so that the empeg can sit in standby mode waiting to be synchronized.

(You do realize, that when you check the box "power off empeg when complete" in emplode, it doesn't really mean power off, right? It means go into standby mode.)

#132429 - 30/12/2002 23:27 Re: How-To Wireless Empeg wiring [Re: tfabris]
thermo
stranger

well, I agree that having it "always on" would be nice. I'm just worried that it might kill my car's battery to have it always ready to recieve transmission. I was also wondering if the car player can recieve data when it's not in "home" mode. I'd like to make sure the Empeg isn't always on, as I'm pretty sure this would draw a fair amount of power as well.

One way to get around this, like you suggested, is to have a WAP and the empeg's 12v power supply wired up to a switch, so I can hit the switch, walk inside, upload songs, and when I'm done I'd have to walk back outside and hit the switch again to turn everything off. I usually start the upload and go to bed, so I would have to turn everything off in the morning. Do you see this as being a problem?

#132430 - 30/12/2002 23:41 Re: How-To Wireless Empeg wiring [Re: thermo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well, for my money, it's infinitely better to bring the thing into the house all the time, so the idea of wireless access for the car is a little odd to me to begin with....

#132431 - 31/12/2002 02:21 Re: How-To Wireless Empeg wiring [Re: tfabris]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
In reply to:

Well, for my money, it's infinitely better to bring the thing into the house all the time, so the idea of wireless access for the car is a little odd to me to begin with....

I'd have to agree with you there Tony, except for some specific cases where being able to have remote access to your empeg over wireless is necessary [and there are one or two members who have posted good posts about why they do have wireless setup so their empeg stays in the car], its generally better to take your empeg inside and sync it up.

The problem is that until now there has been no "docking station" which you can dock your empeg into in your house that doesn't require a expensive sled and then end up looking like a cheap home built ham-radio set [no offense Tony intended about your fine woodworking skills which are superior to mine in every way].

Now that Mark Lord is proposing to build a home docking station that will be sledless and Ethernet "docking" in the rear this would be the solution you're after.
It'll work out cheaper than a WAP plus wiring etc in your car, and has the added benefit that your empeg is safe and sound inside the house at night where its less likely to get stolen.

#132432 - 31/12/2002 10:10 Re: How-To Wireless Empeg wiring [Re: number6]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

no offense Tony intended about your fine woodworking skills which are superior to mine in every way

ROFL