Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#245558 - 06/01/2005 14:56 Need JEmplode help
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
Can't get JEmplode to run in my office. Installed Java and tested as suggested on Java's website and all works fine. Donwloaded and double clicked JEmplode.jar and nothing happens? Did this at home last night too and everything worked perfect the first time. What am I missing here at the office? Running Win2000 Pro here at work and XP at home.

#245559 - 06/01/2005 14:58 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: bodybag]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
run it from a command line

Code:
java -jar jemplode.jar

#245560 - 06/01/2005 15:05 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: RobotCaleb]
bodybag
addict

still no JEmplode . The only thing that happens is a window with the folder for JAVA under thw WINNT folder opens.

#245561 - 06/01/2005 15:35 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: bodybag]
bodybag
addict

Maybe this has something to do with it? I still have, and can open, JEmplode (Jempeg) Version 45 on my office computer. However, it's more like and installed program than just a .jar file. Maybe it's causing the new version to not open?

#245562 - 06/01/2005 17:25 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: bodybag]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Drop the new .jar over the top of the old one, you might get a surprise.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245563 - 06/01/2005 18:45 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: schofiel]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
yeah, try this. if you dont see the .jar, look further in the directory structure. i cant tell you off the top of my head where the .jar resides.

#245564 - 06/01/2005 20:03 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: RobotCaleb]
bodybag
addict

Dropped the new jar over the old jar and got this error message:

"unable to launch java application"

"unable to locate the applications "main" class "org.jempeg.empeg.jemplode.main" must be public and have a public static void main (string (jibberish) method (LAX)"

And, since I made no backup of the original .jar and overwrote it with the new one, now I can't even open the old version 45.

#245565 - 06/01/2005 20:06 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm beginning to wonder if the Jar you downloaded is corrupted. Try re-downloading it with a tool such as GetRight.

#245566 - 06/01/2005 20:20 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

DL'd a new copy with GetRight and still the same. Noticed this though, right click and select properties says that it opens with IE. Is that right or should I choose another app?

#245567 - 06/01/2005 20:23 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: bodybag]
bodybag
addict

I don't understand why the old versions have an .exe to open them and the new one opens by double clicking the .jar? If I click the old versions .jar, nothing happens either. I have to click the .exe to open them. I know it should work by d-clicking the .jar because that's how I launch it at home, but for some reason here at the office it isn't the same.

Edited by bodybag (06/01/2005 20:25)

#245568 - 06/01/2005 20:33 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
DL'd a new copy with GetRight and still the same. Noticed this though, right click and select properties says that it opens with IE. Is that right or should I choose another app?

Yeah. After downloading and installing the Java runtime engine from Sun, JAR files should be associated with java.exe -jar. So something is goofy there.

Quote:
I don't understand why the old versions have an .exe to open them and the new one opens by double clicking the .jar?

Because that old .EXE distribution was a big mess. It puts a lot of garbage on your hard disk that you don't need. It also took up space and bandwidth on the distribution server that wasn't necessary.

In addition, it's a big pain in the butt for Mike S. to maintain because he would have to build a whole new InstallAnywhere build with each release. And because it was a pain to do, he didn't do it. Instead, he put up just the JAR files and then people would install the EXE and not get the JAR, and wonder why the new features weren't there.

So since you'd have to put the new JAR in place anyway, and because installing the EXE is really no different than installing the Sun runtime engine (just messier), it made more sense just to simplify the distribution and put out just the JAR. That way, the installation instructions are simpler (install java, run the JAR), and Mike is more likely to do releases because it's much easier to just copy the new JAR to the server.

In any case, there's something wrong with the way Java is working on that box. You should just be able to double-click the JAR just like you do on your other computer. Don't blame the fact that he changed the distribution method.

By the way, you might want to try deinstalling that EXE version, deinstalling Java, and then reinstalling Java.

#245569 - 06/01/2005 20:36 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

I'll try the uninstall and see if that works. Thanks

#245570 - 06/01/2005 22:44 Re: Need JEmplode help [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This actually sounds like the only functional JVM on the machine is the M$ one associated with the IE installation, which is crap anyway (missing and non-compliant classes). The association must have been changed by a later installation of IE after a SUN JVM was put on there.

I would uninst any SUN JVM, uninst V45, download the current J2SE JVM (either the compact JRE version, or the full blown JDK) and install it. Test out the JVM installation with one of the sample JAR apps, then create a directory for Mike's JAR. Drop the jar there. Right click on the JAR and try Open With... to see if it is properly associated with the JRE/JVM.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015