Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3594 - 13/01/2000 12:17 Terminal Communication
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

I can send commands to the Empeg via the serial port, quite successfully. For example N goes to the next track.

My question is: Can I access a command prompt this way, or must I install the developer version of the kernel before I can get the command prompt via the serial port?

#3595 - 13/01/2000 12:23 Okay, different question... [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I just found out the answer myself. "Q" tries to start the shell, then dutifully informs me that there is no shell to start. Very nice of it to be so informative.

Now here's my follow-up question...

I'm only interested in poking around for fun and to see the file structure. The stability of the unit is more important to me than the ability to mess around at the command prompt. If I installed the developer kernel, would I be compromising the unit's stability? Are there more bugs in the developer build than in the retail build?

#3596 - 13/01/2000 16:32 Re: Okay, different question... [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
There shouldn't be any problems with running the developer version, other than it takes a couple of seconds longer to boot.

You can easily go back to the consumer release if you change your mind.

Rob

#3597 - 13/01/2000 16:34 Re: Okay, different question... [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You can easily go back to the consumer release if you change your mind.

Is there any chance I could lose my playlist database or the MP3s stored on the unit by doing this?

#3598 - 13/01/2000 16:40 Re: Okay, different question... [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
If you go into the shell and start deleting or otherwise messing with stuff then, yes, you could lose some data :) You'd have to go to some effort though, i.e. first you'd need to remount the music partition for writing.

The process of loading releases onto the player won't affect the music, though.

Rob

#3599 - 13/01/2000 16:52 Re: Okay, different question... [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The process of loading releases onto the player won't affect the music, though.

Cool, I'm doing it now, then.

Although it's scary to see a really long progress bar telling me that it's "pumping the partition". I know very little about Linux, so a term like that sounds far from nondestructive to me.

I guess I'll find out in a minute whether I've lost my radio and EQ presets or not...

#3600 - 01/02/2000 21:03 Re: Okay, different question... [Re: tfabris]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Actually there is a sensible reason for running the developer version (at least one) and that is to create a file on the unit detailing the owner. Who you are, and where you live etc) That way if someone does nick it - you can tell the police to look in a specific location on the disk to find your details to prove its your unit (despite them being able to contact EMPEG and look you up through the serial number)

David

#3601 - 02/02/2000 04:14 Re: Okay, different question... [Re: stig]
xavyer

In addition to adding the extra file, something that can also be done (although not as 'permanent') is to set the artist and comment tags for '/' with your
name and address.