Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3858 - 29/03/2000 11:40 Knob
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This may have been cleared up earlier, but I just had to ask.

What does the addition of the knob mean for owners of both generations? There's a couple ways I could see this going. I suppose my main question is how will the software be affected by the knob? And how will this affect MK1 owners? Will the knob be of less use in attempts to assure the backwards-compatability of the software? Or on the flip side, will the MK1 owners be left hanging or with bugs because the new software will support something that doesn't exist on their units? Or is it that because the knob will just controls existing functions, the old owners won't be affected?

I know I'm not expressing this very well, but I think you can get my basic question.

#3859 - 29/03/2000 15:57 Re: Knob [Re: Dignan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The knob is used mostly for volume (freeing holding of left/right to do FF/REW, something you can't do on the mk1) plus menu tree navigation (it presses in too). You won't lose functionality on the mk1 software, and if you so desire you'll be able to upgrade your unit to a mk2 front panel, though prices & timing havn't been set for this yet.

Hugo

#3860 - 29/03/2000 16:21 Re: Knob [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Okay, thanks. I don't own a player yet, just trying to clear it up in my mind

#3861 - 29/03/2000 16:21 Re: Knob [Re: altman]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I hope that the knob will be used in all cases where "analog" values makes sense (besides volume). I'm thinking of EQ settings, loudness settings, err any sort of settings... shuttle/jog... The way my Alpine works is when the button is pushed in, it will select the next function in the list. Keep tapping the button it'll keep switching to another function.. (brightness, etc). There are also sub-menus you can get into by holding down the button rather than tapping it.

Calvin