Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17277 - 09/09/2000 15:38 Ignition sense not working properly
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Okay. Took my empeg to the local car audio shop today. I'm running it into the AUX unit of my Kenwood head unit until I can pay off my Empeg and afford an amp. Anyway, the guy who installed it seemed to know what he was doing. BUT, he said that the Empeg doesn't go to standby or power down when the ignition is turned off. He said it's connected the same way as the head unit is, but for some reason the head unit powers down and the Empeg doesn't. The strange part is that ignition sense DOES seem to work when it turns on. Like, I plug the Empeg into the car, and it doesn't power on, but when I start the car, it does. So ignition sense seems to be working for turning the Empeg ON, but not for turning it OFF.

So what the hell is going on?!?

I still love this thing, but this is a quirky problem that I'd like to take care of...

-Tony

---
MkII 080000554

#17278 - 09/09/2000 19:59 Re: Ignition sense not working properly [Re: tonyc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
BUT, he said that the Empeg doesn't go to standby or power down when the ignition is turned off.

If you look

here
and
here

I think you may find, not the answer to your problem, but some information about what is causing it.

Don't be misled by the beginnings of the first thread - even though you aren't getting the "thump" it talks about, the thread does develop into topics relevant to your situation.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#17279 - 09/09/2000 20:19 Re: Ignition sense not working properly [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Or, he could just have the ignition wire and the constant 12-volt wires swapped, like Fox did.

That was Fox's symptom: It didn't turn off when the ignition went off. I even put it in the FAQ.

#17280 - 09/09/2000 20:22 Re: Ignition sense not working properly [Re: tanstaafl.]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Actually I *do* get a thump if I plug the Empeg into the docking station and my head unit is on (and on the AUX channel that the Empeg is plugged into.) This isn't a huge deal though. I'll check those threads...

---
MkII 080000554

#17281 - 09/09/2000 20:56 Re: Ignition sense not working properly [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

If that were the case (12V constant is connected to 12V switched and vice versa) wouldn't it stand to reason that my Empeg would power up as soon as it wa docked, regardless of the ON/OFF status of the car? See, if my car is off, no key in the ignition, and I plug my Empeg in, it DOESN'T power on. No standby light or anything. As soon as I turn the car on, the Empeg boots up and the head unit comes on. When I turn the key to OFF, the head unit powers off, but the Empeg doesn't. So it would seem that ignition sense works turning ON but not turning OFF. I'm no expert (obviously) but it seems that if the constant power were connected to switched, then the Empeg would turn on as soon as it was docked, and not properly respond to the ignition turning on, which mine does...

Let me know if you agree with this logic... Thanks.
-The other Tony

---
MkII 080000554