Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18156 - 19/09/2000 19:06 Impedance of 4V and 1V outputs
billa
new poster

Loc: Maine, USA
Hi,

Hope that this is not and old question but, I was unable to find an exact answer.
What is the output impedance of the output of the MkII. There are the 1V set and the pair of 4V outputs.
The users manual states:
Do not drive a load directly. There must be some limits
Typically outputs are setup to drive a 10K load. Is this true for the MkII?
I expect that the warning is for low Z loads like headphone (32 Ohms typical).

Oh yea,
Got my MkII last week,
WELL worth the wait!
THANKS!

Have Fun,
BillA.

#18157 - 19/09/2000 19:56 Re: Impedance of 4V and 1V outputs [Re: billa]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't understand why this question is important?

It's a standard line-level output, designed to be plugged into a line-level input on a car amplifier or a home stereo. You're not driving speakers, so why is impedance important?

#18158 - 20/09/2000 01:19 Re: Impedance of 4V and 1V outputs [Re: billa]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The 4v outs are typically 100ohm (ie, they drive pretty strongly). I can't remember offhand what the output impedance of the home outs is, I suspect it's in the 1k range.

Hugo

#18159 - 20/09/2000 13:50 Re: Impedance of 4V and 1V outputs [Re: tfabris]
billa
new poster

Loc: Maine, USA
Hi,

There have been a number of post with respect to voltage dividers for the (4V and 1V) outputs
This is required when connecting to input stages (amplifiers or aux) that require a voltage different
than what is available on the empeg. When doing this it is best to somewhat match the impedance
of the input and output stages. If an output stage drives a high Z it may be noisy or worst, if the output
is driving an input Z that is too low you could (will) cause damage to the output stage.
(Hence, do not drive headphones with the empeg outputs!)

One of the post mentioned 10K Ohms pot, this is almost always a good place to start in audio.

Have Fun,
BillA.

#18160 - 20/09/2000 14:15 Re: Impedance of 4V and 1V outputs [Re: billa]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ah, I see. I guess that makes sense if you need to do something like that. For what it's worth, I have my Empeg's 4v outputs plugged straight into the 1v inputs on my car amplifiers. Both amplifiers are several years old, from the days before 4v outputs were even made for car amplifiers. I haven't had any trouble.