Today I did something fun.

I got some weatherproof outdoor speakers and hung them under the eaves on the back deck above the hot tub. Ran the wires through the attic to the family room, where the Mark1 feeds a little shelf-system "boom box" kind of stereo. It's a pretty cheap stereo, but it sounds decent enough.

Works great. Listen to the Empeg while watching the sunset (and moonrise) from the hot tub. The world is a very cool place.

Tomorrow, I'll stick an IR repeater in the kitchen windowsill so I can control track-switch/volume from the hot tub, too.

But here's my question: The little "boom box" that's doing the amplificationizing originally had 3-ohm speakers connected to it. I'm just unplugging the original speakers and plugging the outdoor speakers into where the originals used to be. These outdoor speakers are 8-ohm jobs, at the end of a 100-foot run of speaker wire.

So am I going to let the smoke out of my boom box? I ran it for about an hour so far today and it seems fine (although the 8-ohm speakers are not as loud as the 3-ohm ones were, which I expected is what would happen). The boom box itself does not state any specifications for speakers, since it was only ever intended to drive the speakers that came with it.