Well, I got ftp and telnet up and running on my empeg today and now I would like to clean up the way they run. Ideally, upon bootup empeg runs player software. If, quit is selected from the empeg menu (tip on adding quit to menu in another thread) the player quits, the drives are remounted read/write and inetd is started. Now, if a button is pushed on the unit, inetd is killed, the drives are remounted as read only and the player starts again. This way a serial connection is never really needed and the player can be used for ftp, etc at any time with just an ethernet drop. So, this brings up a few questions...

1. Is it possible to make the quit menu item quit player and launch another program?
2. Is it possible to trigger a program based on a keypress when player is not running?

I don't really care about having inetd and friends running while the player is running (increases memory usage, etc), but another way of approaching this might be to leave inetd running and stop the player/remount the drives when a connection occurs (to a certain service or on a certain port).

Any suggestion?

-Mike