Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#53165 - 01/01/2002 05:13 Hijack single drive hack suggestion
drakino
carpal tunnel

The new menu option in Hijack v92 is very nice for setting the quick drive boot on single drive units. One suggestion though, disable it on units that have two drives. (I now have an evil trick to play on my friends new 60gb unit, enable this and see how long it takes him to figure out why half his music is gone )

#53166 - 01/01/2002 11:57 Re: Hijack single drive hack suggestion [Re: drakino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think what you're asking for can be done. The 1 drive hack is skipping over the detection of the 2nd drive. So if you have a 2 drive Empeg, it doesn't know until it's attempted to detect it. For the kernel to disable the menu item, it needs to know if you have one or two drives, which means it can't possibly use the 1-drive hack anyway.

Maybe in the future Mark could write something to allow people to choose which menu options are enabled/disabled in their config.ini. If that were done, all menu items would be availlable until config.ini were read, though.

I would personally put that feature way below a half dozen other kernel features, though.

#53167 - 01/01/2002 14:21 Re: Hijack single drive hack suggestion [Re: tonyc]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Maybe in the future Mark could write something to allow people to choose which menu options are enabled/disabled in their config.ini. If that were done, all menu items would be availlable until config.ini were read, though.

By that time, the kernel already knows that it has two drives to play with. So, the feature would be more like: Only show the "skip 2nd drive test" option when the kernel knows that the unit only has one drive. If it already detected the drives, and found two, than that option has no obvious use, but obvious malicious uses, so it might be better to disable it. No (again: obvious) need to switch the availability of that option via config.ini.
However: When playing around with experimental software (which I am probably doing soon), that option might be useful to protect the second drive against accidental writes (I only need the second drive to store my music, the first only contains the plain software and the scratch partition in use, both being backed up to the second drive).

Oh, a question to Mark regarding the reading of config.ini: Is your patch reading config.ini when it is first opened by any app, or when it is first opened by the player app?

cu,
sven

#53168 - 01/01/2002 20:47 Re: Hijack single drive hack suggestion [Re: smu]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I suppose I could just delete the menu entry if two drives are detected during boot-up, but I'd rather not.. too much bother (no menu-delete routine exists yet), and there may be uses for it even then (unlikely, but possibly).

The read of "config.ini" by Hijack is done after the player reads it. This can be changed, if need be. Currently we don't read it until the player begin's polling for IR button presses in empeg_input.c (because Hijack's initial use of config.ini was for ir_translate). To do it earlier, we could move the hook to some place like ext2::open()

Cheers

#53169 - 01/01/2002 20:50 Re: Hijack single drive hack suggestion [Re: drakino]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
>The new menu option in Hijack v92 is very nice
>for setting the quick drive boot on single drive units.

And it saves me from building separate kernels (1drive vs. 2drive) like I used to do prior to this feature.

-ml

#53170 - 02/01/2002 00:26 Re: Hijack single drive hack suggestion [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

And it saves me from building separate kernels (1drive vs. 2drive) like I used to do prior to this feature

I figured that once I saw the new option for the first time when I was helping my friend get used to his new toy.

Hugo did indicate autodetection code might make it's way in one day to speed up car boots when only one drive is present. I believe he was going to have it coded to always check for two drives on AC power, (incase it gets upgraded), then just note the number of drives in flash for car boots.