Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#68473 - 08/02/2002 03:00 Radio station database?
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I could not find any previous posts or info in the FAQ so here is a feature request:

I don't have a tuner nor will I get one unless an affordable one becomes accessible very soon(<$100)..

BUT..how about this for those that have one or will get one:

Create a database of all radio stations around the world with their appropriate frequencies.

Many of us drive to various cities on a regular basis, or sometime on vacation. Would it not be cool to be able to access a function "Station Database" and then select the city, and tada! All the presets are set for you.. No fussing when in a new city..

This database could also contain a format/genre tag and possibly other tags too, so you could filter out that country and rap music stations you hate... It of course would be constantly modified as stations change their formats all the time..

Perhaps a continent-based set of databases could be available in case file size is an issue, though I don't think it would be too big a table..

I don't know if this is even possible but if so it seems like a nice idea and one that, if available, would be the incentive for me and others to fork out some extra cash for the tuner..

Another cool thing about this project is nearly everyone on this forum could participate in the development: updating the database...

So how about it?

-John M

#68474 - 08/02/2002 04:07 Re: Radio station database? [Re: jnmunsey]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
Or better yet. Use GPS to automatically load the proper database of songs in the proper area of the country

#68475 - 08/02/2002 17:34 Re: Radio station database? [Re: jnmunsey]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
So much for the great idea

#68476 - 15/02/2002 12:30 Re: Radio station database? [Re: jnmunsey]
rbenech
journeyman

Loc: CA, USA
For those of us in the US, A radio station preset database would greatly benifit from convincing the FCC to XML enable their database ( http://www.fcc.gov/mmb/asd/fmq.html )
This way the Empeg would only need to import the presets from the XML query. Now that I think about it, even emplode can't set the tuner presets... I wonder if there is a way to do it outside of the player software?