Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#74072 - 22/02/2002 07:26 findempeg question and a feature request
crocklobster

I was looking at the entries created by findempeg. Anyone know why all the X's are appended to the end? Here is an entry for me

10.1.5.30 crock empeg-60000032 # Empeg: Serial=60000032 Name=crock EMPEG-60000032-EMPEGXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anyway, I have a feature request for tman...
Allow a function for adding all (multiple) empegs to your hosts file. To do this, use the "name" of the empeg. Assume that it won't have invalid characters, or escape them somehow. This would also work for single empegs, you wouldn't have to specify the serial number and a name, if findempeg found one, it would add it / update it in the hosts file based on the name of the player.

I actually have three empegs on my network at work (I only own one of them). I have two spare empegs at home, so this could really help me out.

Chris

#74073 - 22/02/2002 10:48 Re: findempeg question and a feature request [Re: crocklobster]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You can add multiple empegs to your hosts file by running findempeg multiple times with different command-line parameters. You can wrap this in a batch file if you like.

Findempeg uses the player's serial number to identify and add the player to hosts. More reliable than name.

Read up on the findempeg command-line parameters to see how to use it.

#74074 - 22/02/2002 12:05 Re: findempeg question and a feature request [Re: tfabris]
crocklobster

Actually, I know how to use it, and I realise you could just run it multiple times.

Thing is, if the goal is to automate this process, why not be able to automatically add every empeg found on a network without having to maintain a batch file if someone brought in a different one? Since this is a client utility, if the three of us each have several people listening to our stuff, and we happen to bring in a different machine (with a different serial number), many people would be required to update their batch files.

If the feature I requested was implemented, this goes away. Just an idea for those places that have several empegs.

Chris

#74075 - 22/02/2002 13:23 Re: findempeg question and a feature request [Re: crocklobster]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
many people would be required to update their batch files.

Ah, OK, good point. Carry on.

#74076 - 24/02/2002 03:58 Re: findempeg question and a feature request [Re: crocklobster]
tman
carpal tunnel

The X's are used as padding so that I can modify that line directly in the file without having to move all the stuff after it around. I used to just create a new file and then copy it over but this way seems to be quicker.

Don't change that line though! Bad things will happen if it becomes shorter or if you modify it by hand! I really should put a note in there about this.

I've been meaning to release a new version that does multiple empegs but I've been bogged down with work at the moment and haven't had much time to write it. I'll see if I can find time in the next few days to have a look.

Anybody got any other feature requests while I'm changing stuff?

- Trevor