Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#133068 - 04/01/2003 15:46 jEmplode + Serial + OS X?
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I won't have time to look at this tonight, but since there are a couple other endeavorous Java OS X folks on here, I thought I'd post this very promising looking link:

http://giantlaser.com/tonto/?x=doc_install

This is basically a pure Java implementation of the ProntoEdit software for the Pronto remote control. The interesting part is that the Pronto updates with a serial connection and they have an OS X version that does this. That means that they had obviously figured out how to get OS X + javax.comm to work with a USB-Serial adapter, which means jEmplode can probably steal the hard work they did Anyway, this would be very cool as it would allow player updates and hijack installs for OS X people.

Anyway, if someone gets to this before me to play around with it, drop me an email if you see how they set things up.

Thanks
Mike

#133069 - 04/01/2003 16:30 Re: jEmplode + Serial + OS X? [Re: mschrag]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Hmmm, quick and easy instructions for causing kernel panic in OS X...

1. Grab the libjnijcomm.jnilib and javax.comm.* from tonto
2. Add above to $CLASSPATH
3. Run jEmplode
4. Try to discover empeg via serial
5. Boom, instant kernel panic
6. Reboot and try again just to be sure
7. GOTO 5

yeah, I think I am gonna let somebody else play with this one

-Mike

Edited by mcomb (04/01/2003 17:59)

#133070 - 04/01/2003 16:41 Re: jEmplode + Serial + OS X? [Re: mcomb]
tman
carpal tunnel

I take it that it's using the java native interface stuff? Shouldn't cause a kernel panic tho...

I'd volunteer to debug it if somebody donates a Mac, copy of MacOSX and a USB->serial adapter

- Trevor